I just received a phone call from a potential guest wanting to break the UK lockdown for a 2 day pleasure trip!

Sam163
Level 7
Herstmonceux, United Kingdom

I just received a phone call from a potential guest wanting to break the UK lockdown for a 2 day pleasure trip!

Even though I've blocked my diary I just got a call from a potential guest who lives about an hour from me wanting to book a 2 day pleasure trip this week so he could get away from his mum.  I had to have a very honest conversation with him about the reality of that - he would be breaking the restrictions on non-essential travel, he would be putting me at risk doing the cleaning and his mum when he returned, and he would be putting the health service at risk. I asked him if he loved his mum and if he wanted her to be there in the future. His mum heard me on speakerphone and was saying "thank you" in the background. I told him I would love to host him in the future but the sooner people stop traveling for non-essential reasons the sooner this will be over. I said I'd just lost all my income and he was offering me money and I was turning it down for good reason and we had a long chat about staying calm and doing nice things for each other and making the most of people while you can. He thanked me in the end and asked me to contact him when I re-open.

The UK government are saying they are expecting to lift the restrictions at some point and then have to re-impose them - logically this means they know more people will be infected when the restrictions are lifted.  If we don't take it seriously now this could go on for years, not weeks or months. The sooner we accept that we can't take short term bookings or anyone who isn't local or a key worker,  the better. Clear guidelines on this for hosts and travelers would be helpful - please Airbnb, make an announcement.

We all need to adapt to survive on many levels including business levels. The previous structure for bookings and cancellations and penalties etc needs totally rethinking for these new circumstances. I don't want to de-list and I want to be able to take future bookings so I can hit the ground running once this is over, but I've worked so hard for my Superhost status and I don't KNOW when it's going to be safe to operate so I'm wary of taking any more bookings at all, just as guests are worried about booking. If there was the option to postpone but not cancel from both sides, that might make it easier to predict if you can responsibly take a booking.

As for hosting key workers, that's high risk, we've just lost our incomes, it costs me a lot to run a place, why are Airbnb encouraging us to do it for nothing? Why do they think we hosts can live on fresh air? Why are they encouraging us to take risks with our health? The way it's presented it's hard to charge normally without being seen to be profiteering, when actually it's a huge risk and a lot more work. There's lots of advice on all the extra cleaning and washing required and all the sanitization products and loo roll we should provide - where are we going to get  them? What about masks and suits for cleaners? Could Airbnb do a deal for these items wholesale and get them to those of us brave enough to run? I'm considering it but I don't know if I am brave enough because I'm a single mum. I really can't guarantee I'm going to have enough sanitizer etc at any point in the future either.

Even hosting local self-isolators is risky.  How could I guarantee it was clean and safe? What if they don't respect the rules? How would I enforce social distancing - I'm a middle aged woman on my own, we're very rural, hardly any police for the area. It would be great if Airbnb could draw up some general rules for guests during this crisis and some consequences for not keeping to them.  What if someone dies there? Are there policies in place?

I grieved for my business last week as the Airbnb cancellation policy changed and I sat in tears watching the cancellations come in. I'm trying to sort my finances and apply for help but I'm constantly distracted and stressed by issues arising from guests wanting to know where they stand and what to do about their bookings. With the goalposts moving so frequently, it's hard to know what to say. Every time I send an email to a guest, I shoot myself in the foot. A couple of days ago I asked a guest to wait until the last minute to cancel and be refunded so they get their money back and I get a tiny amount rather than nothing, but now it looks like Airbnb are offering credit instead, they're not going to be ok with that after having been assured of the refund and I can't get through for advice.

I need to put my affairs in order and then have a good think about how to adapt to these new circumstances. I don't want to rush into long term hosting without thinking it through. Please, Airbnb, make some sort of temporary block on people booking short term for pleasure and people traveling more than a short distance from home whilst you get advice on new policies for this new reality.

26 Replies 26
Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Sam163 well done, you did the brave, right and difficult thing.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sam163  If every one of us could manage to enlighten someone else who isn't really "getting it", as you did with this young man, it would help a lot to mitigate the spread. Thanks for sharing this.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sam163  How did this person get your phone number?

Sam163
Level 7
Herstmonceux, United Kingdom

I don't know! But I took the call so I had to wing it!

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Thanks for posting, @Sam163 . I've having a hard time budging a few of my already-booked people. I know how difficult that conversation is when they just won't listen, when they "deserve" a holiday and the health of their communities, their families, and their host is of no concern.

But, honestly, PG (potential guest) called you about needing to get away from his mum WHILE HIS MUM WAS IN THE ROOM?! With the poor old dear muttering "Thank you" to you in the background?! 

Good grief. What a mental image that conjures. 

Stay safe. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lawrene0  Maybe she's not a poor old dear- maybe she's one of those controlling dragon lady moms who is literally driving her son crazy. It's possible that she needs to change the way she deals with her son if they're going to be locked down together for a substantial amount of time. Of course he shouldn't be moving about, but there might be more to the story than clueless son and poor old mom....

Yes, @Sarah977 , forgive me. The villains in my stories right now are the people booking themselves holidays. My perspective has to do with my reality right now. My goodness some of my holiday-makers have dug in their heels. I'm on all their mothers' sides. 🙂

@Lawrene0 Are you going to cancel from your end if your "entitled to pretend everything is normal and possibly contaminate your listing and expose you and everyone they come in contact with along the way" guests can't be convinced otherwise? 

I'm so glad I only had one guest still on the books as of 2 weeks ago and she readily agreed that cancelling was logical.

I imagine the lockdowns are trying for many relationships right now, and I'm not just referring to an increase in domestic violence among those who have that sort of abusive relationship anyway. While I wish I had some family around me right now in lockdown, I could see at least one of my daughters and I having a really hard go of it if we were forced to share the same space for who knows how long. I can see a lot of relationships either growing stronger through this, or getting way worse.

Yes, I am, @Sarah977 . These are all after April 15, so I was waiting for the latest extension of the penalty-free period. I'll be zapping them, with appropriate warning, over the weekend. 

@Lawrene0  I figured you were. It's too bad you got put in that position by a bunch of selfish idiots.

@Sam163 

Thumbs up to you for doing the right thing in such difficult times~

My mom and I tend to get on each others nerves and we wouldn't do well in the same house for an extended period of time...... so I couldn't help but laugh as I read ".....2 day pleasure trip this week so he could get away from his mum" LOL~~~

Due to the need for social distancing and the fact I work at one of the few companies that require employees to work at the office 9-5, full time 5 days a week which puts me in contact with a lot of people, and considering my parents age and health, we decided it's best if I not visit them. We video chat and talk often and I am thankful they are both healthy and safe but I haven't seen or hugged my parents in over 3 months..... I couldn't help but be a little envious of that PG of yours. 

Thanks for sharing and stay safe~

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jessica-and-Henry0 

Same here. While it would drive me crazy to live with my mum, I am close to her and we do see each other often. However, it has been a long time now as she had been away for two months beforehand and, since she got back, I've been unable to see her. I know she desperately wants to see me, but she's in her late 70s and has a heart condition. I don't want to put her at any further risk.

So, we chat a lot. I call her every couple of days and we have a good chin wag. The last was over two hours long. If there are any positives from this situation, it's that it teaches you to appreciate what you might have taken for granted.

As for people wanting to take holidays right now, especially in countries like the UK where we are in lockdown, that's scary. I know it's boring, but please people, stay at home!!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

May I suggest you read your Public Health Act and related Guidelines/ Code of Practice for your country.

See what the time frame is for detaining a person who may or may not have a notifiable "Infectious Disease" as one is generally able to do as one pleases with ones life so long as it's "reasonable" in the circumstances.

There's always "grey areas" in laws.  

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Sam163 

May I suggest you ask your Government for copies of the Research Papers the academics have provided  to your Health Minister to sign off your lockdown.

I mention this as not one size fits all, it would be interesting what & how research was done, Facebook, social media or mainstream press association journalists, or reported cases of Infectious diseases of Covid19 to Medical Professionals when your Health Minister was approached and signed off your lockdown documents.

It's very unlikely Academics would  have had access to any such official records of blood tests etc when World Wide lockdowns were requested and/ or put into place