I live in a not-so-pretty neighborhood, how do I set proper expectations?

I live in a not-so-pretty neighborhood, how do I set proper expectations?

I live in Aurora, CO, right on the border of Denver (15 min drive).  While many lesser pretty areas of Denver are rapidly changing (i.e. gentrifying) the area where I just bought my newly remodeled home is still behind the curve. 

My little Airbnb basement studio is cozy, clean, quirky with a brand new bathroom - I think guests will like it!  But there isnt a single redeeming quality of the neighborhood.  Nothing is walkable and I'm sure some guests might even feel uncomfortable and I can't blame them.

How do I set the right expectations about location??

Thanks!

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Maybe some pictures of the outside?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Edward42 

I would put a similar text to what you have just written in your listing description. I would then reiterate that message to the guest just after they book and/or slight before they are set to arrive. Say flat out that your Studio is best suited to those visiting Denver as the closer surrounding areas don't offer much sightseeing. Transparency and honesty is the best approach, I think. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Edward42 Just be honest, as you were here. Better to get fewer guests who don't arrive expecting something else and give you bad ratings, than lots of guests who give bad reviews. Nothing wrong with saying "Honestly, this neighborhood has no redeeming features, but my studio apartment offering does- clean and cozy and comfortable. Neigborhood is run-down in general, but quite safe."  (Assuming the last part is true).

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Brutal honesty works best. I started renting out when I was still renovating and I said things like "hideous gas fire" etc. Expectations met. All the best to you!

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Edward42 

One can not change the location, but one change the location description to avoid false expectation.

My suggestion is:
Tell that your accommodation is ideal for the ones who want to save money and at the same time stay in a clean, cozy and comfortable, good value for money Studio.(assuming it is ).
I think it is important to say that (save money is important), otherwise, why someone would stay in a location that is not fantastic???
Tell that the location is not the best feature, however you can give great tips about the area and how to go everywhere. Write it a kind of guest manual.
Show what is nearby in terms of distance and its attractions in the listing and in the manual.
If the place is silent/quiet, say that. (good feature for some guests)

Maybe it is a good idea to state in the item "things guest should know before booking" - Not suitable to the ones who wants great location. Not walkable, you got to have a car. The best feature of my listing is the cozy studio per si, not the location."

Just my 2 cents. I wish you success!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Hi @Edward42   Are you aware your profile has a duplicate listing?  It might become a problem for you.  Your basement apartment is just as describe, quirky, according to your pictures.  You could add more pictures of the space that would show the entrance, perhaps parking and maybe a bit more showing the neighborhood.  Yes, creating expectations that are accurate is a good thing, but without pictures, guests don't know what your "warning" means.  For some people they would imagaine bombed out buildings :P.  

Thanks @Linda108 ! I plan to add more photos but wanted to get the listing up and running.  

1 listing is for 2 people, the other is for 3...

@Edward42  this is right up my street, so to speak,  literally!

our neighbourhood is pretty blue collar ex-mining houses. We just pinned the map to the exact location, provided photos of the views and the outside, were 100% honest in the descriptions, and our guests are very happy.

People even find that being knocked over by a badger on their way home from the pub is an *experience*. I suppose it is, until it happens every friday night.

People appreciate honest neighbourhoods, it's like buying an honest straight car.  It is a breath of fresh air to some people.  Tell it straight, you can't go wrong.

I quite like staying in edgy neighbourhoods myself.  It's easier to get some weed 

😉Seriously though, the quiet peaceful night's sleep is priceless.  You can't go wrong if you can offer that.

@Kevin1322  wait, we're neighbors?!  Do I have to do anything special for tax collection in Aurora??

Thanks,
Ed

Also... me too, I like me neighborhoods less polished and edgy 🙂