I'm New and I got my first booking.

Answered!
Al-And-Daughter0
Level 2
Punta Gorda, FL

I'm New and I got my first booking.

I hit "approved" and it says "CONFIRMED. Jane *** is scheduled to arrive on March 14th."

My question is this... is there protocol for when I should send her my first email with all the particulars (i.e. address, unit number,  etc.)?  I'm on another site where they advise us to wait until after the traveller's money has been paid to Airbnb, which is 30-days prior to their check-in, before we reach out to the traveller with specifics. But with Airbnb folks not paying until the day of arrival, should this impact the timing of when I send them the "thank you for choosing us" message with the condo address and other pertinent detail?

I already have several prepared email communications ready to send/post to this traveller. Are there any other nuances I should know about being an Airbnb host? This is our second year booking on a different site, but it's our FIRST time with Airbnb.  Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Al-And-Daughter0

Like @Dave-and-Deb0 mentioned, we send the thank you note right after the guest book the house... Unlike other websites with airbnb the guest already paid for their reservation in full, so unless they cancel the reservation consider yourself already paid...

With our thank you note we let the guest know that all relevant information about the house will be sent 2 weeks prior their arrival, as courtesy we also send the same email 3 days prior to arrival...

If they ask for a confirmation too much in advanced (months) we send only the adress and confirmation of dates and check-in/out times.. we don't send all the details too much in advance because they may change...

our thank you note looks like this...

"Hi Jane ***,
Thank you for confirming your reservation!
Two weeks before your trip I will send an email with the details about the house and the arrival instructions, meanwhile if you have any questions please let me know. "

Luis

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Al-And-Daughter0,

I usually send a thank you message roght after they book telling them I look forward to their stay.  I then send them all the relevant information a few days before their arrival.

Cheers

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thank you, Dave! I appreciate the info!
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Al-And-Daughter0

Like @Dave-and-Deb0 mentioned, we send the thank you note right after the guest book the house... Unlike other websites with airbnb the guest already paid for their reservation in full, so unless they cancel the reservation consider yourself already paid...

With our thank you note we let the guest know that all relevant information about the house will be sent 2 weeks prior their arrival, as courtesy we also send the same email 3 days prior to arrival...

If they ask for a confirmation too much in advanced (months) we send only the adress and confirmation of dates and check-in/out times.. we don't send all the details too much in advance because they may change...

our thank you note looks like this...

"Hi Jane ***,
Thank you for confirming your reservation!
Two weeks before your trip I will send an email with the details about the house and the arrival instructions, meanwhile if you have any questions please let me know. "

Luis

Luis,

Thank you for laying out all the details, including your timeline for devulging the specifics! I love that you provided a sample thank-you as a frame of reference. I had no idea that Airbnb charges the traveller in full upfront! That's actually BETTER than the other booking site I'm on, which charges the traveller a 30% deposit on reservations made over 30 days in advance, then they charge the balance 30-days prior to check-in. Thanks again!!
Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Al-And-Daughter0,

Welcome to the Community Center, it is great to see your discussion here and @Luis-and-Tati0 and @Dave-and-Deb0 have provided you with some great help, it would be brilliant if you could let us know how you get on with this, perhaps after a while you will adapt it to your own style and you find extra things that might help others. 

On a slighlty different note,I hope you don't mind, but I have removed the surname of the guest you have posted here as I wouldn't recommend you posting personal information here due to safety reasons as it is publically visible. I hope this is fine with you. 🙂

Congratulations on your first booking, exciting times. I recommend you exploring the CC there are some great discussions with tips and tricks. 

Thanks so much, Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Morning Lizzie,

I certainly appreciate your intent, however, I didn't use any part of the traveller's real name. When I referenced the message I received from Airbnb, I wrote "Confirmed! JANE DOE  is scheduled to arrive...", which is the universal fictional name used in lieu of revealing a person's true identity. By blocking out the surname, it incorrectly implies the traveller's first name is "Jane". I'm thinking you probably scanned it, saw the name "Jane", and quickly applied the filter? No worries either way, just wanted you to know.:-)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Al-And-Daughter0,

Haha! I'm going to laugh at myself for this. Thanks so much for pointing this out, I wonder if Jane Doe is in a relationship with John Smith! hehe

So glad, to hear this is useful and thanks again. 🙂  

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

I heard they're involved in an illicit affair! Laughing hard over here!! You made my morning, Lizzie! LOL

Also, thanks so much for the welcome! I appreciate all the great information received in this forum. Great resource!

Richard79
Level 2
Oranjestad, Aruba

Any tips would be highly apriciated.

richard

Maggi2
Level 2
Australia

Good luck with being able to contact Airbnb......its impossible!

Renee22
Level 1
Scottsdale, AZ

Hi I have a question for anyone that can help me on this. I have a first time booking for my home and the guest is scheduled for check in tomorrow; however at the time of booking the listing didnt have a security deposit and cleaning fee included (i forgot to put those in place). I did go ahead and edit the listing now after the booking however the reservation is 24 hours out and I want to make sure the reservation reflects to have my security deposit in place.

Does anyone know if this will be affective or whether I need to cancel the reservation and have the guests re-book with the updated listing.

Greatly appreciate your feedback

However my minimum is 6 nights over Christmas and they have booked 2 - tried to remove but cannot make it available - its blocked????   It says cancelled by me and to help avoid future cancellations it will stay blocked for the dates of teh cancelled reservation ....I need it removed   jow do I do>>>>

C