I'm being punished excessively for one bad experience.

in
Culver City, CA
Level 3

Last week, I had a guest booked for 31 days in a shared room in my house.  He showed up with almost no bags and a separate twin mattress, which was odd because the room is very small and there was already a full mattress.  He said he would just keep it between the bed and the wall, which really limits the space.

I was in the process of cleaning the carpets with a rented professional steamer and updating the room when he arrived.  We discussed the new TV and office chair that I had ready.  Early the next morning, this guy took pictures of every imperfection that he could find, including the laundry shelves in my living room, claiming there was junk everywhere.  Where I had cleaned the carpet, he took pictures of the wet spots claiming they were stains.  Where the TV and chair went, he claimed they were mysteriously missing.   

He left before I got up and filed a dispute against me.  I realize now, that the mattress was in tow because he always planned to bail on his 31 day commitment, and the punishing dispute was his way out.

Without even getting to speak to someone on the phone (only via messenger), I was given a violation of Airbnb's Hosting Standards.  In over 1000 reservations, I have never received a violation of that sort.  I manage four rooms out of my home and this is my primary source of income.  Now I lose all of the money from his reservation, I lose the ability to book anyone in the room for the entire month, he gets to hammer me in a review (which is pending), and the absolute worst part - I get a cancelation marked against me and lose my SuperHost status.  I've achieved SuperHost every quarter since I started doing this in 2015.  It's my livelihood and is absolutely devastating to me, to the point that I feel depressed.  Does anyone know how to appeal any part of this?  The case manager has put up a wall.

40 Replies

Re: I'm being punished excessively for one bad experience.

in
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Level 10

@Graeme19 

Again a story how one lunatic guest can destroy a good business.

Airbnb should give more protection to their superhosts (they make the money !) and stop acting like this.

in
Culver City, CA
Level 3

Is there an appeals process?

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

“Without even getting to speak to someone on the phone.” Unbelievable. 

This is really out of control. @Nick @Stephanie can you look into this for @Graeme19 ? At the very least the violation should be removed. SMH.

in
Culver City, CA
Level 3

Via messenger, I sent pictures of the TV, the carpet steamer, the areas on the carpet that had been cleaned vs not cleaned, and a receipt for the steamer rental.   The response was:

We appreciate your response with our message, and we understand that you have tried your best to rectify the issue. However, this didn't work out with them. After carefully checking this case, we have determined that there is a Hosting Standard violation, and this guest is eligible to get a full refund.

I'd be fine with the refund, if everything else hadn't fallen out.  It's so incredibly frustrating to get those cookie cutter responses with no real sympathy for my case.

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Graeme19 Have you reported the guest? You should. May not make much difference but do it anyway. SCAMMER. 

in
Culver City, CA
Level 3

The case manager finally closed the case today, just before I posted here.  I'm hoping to find another way, but if I have to try to create a new case I will.  I just know they tend not to let anyone start up a new dispute about the same issues in order to get a new case manager.  I'm worried they'll just side with his final decision or send it back to him.

It would be amazing if I could find a connection between the guest and the case manager, but that's probably a reach.

in
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands
Level 10

@Colleen253 

The Host Advisory Board should put this respectless behaviour of Airbnb on top of their list.

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Emiel1 Agreed. It should be priority number one. 

*personal comment removed*

Online Community Manager in
London, United Kingdom
Online Community Manager

Hiya both,

I appreciate you are frustrated with Airbnb but please refrain from making personal comments about the Host Advisory Board members. They are all people too and you know we don't allow this kind of interaction on the Community Center. Please refer to the Community Guidelines here.

In case you missed it, here is the lates update on how the Host Advisory Board are interacting: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Airbnb-Updates/Here-s-how-we-collect-Host-feedback-through-our-o...

They are also full time Hosts as well as doing this additional work with Airbnb. Not all choose to interact on the Community Center and instead use different mediums. 

Thanks,

Stephanie

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Stephanie Huh? I don’t see any ‘personal’ comments about any HAB member. The group itself was mentioned.

in
Culver City, CA
Level 3

I didn't mention the host advisory board.  Can this be handled somewhere other than my thread asking for help?

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Graeme19The HAB doesn’t help hosts in the way you might imagine they do. We all wish…..

in
Sayulita, Mexico
Level 10

@Stephanie A way to have direct input to the HAB was promised a year ago, and nothing has materialized.

You can't be surprised that we don't feel they are representing hosts' concerns.

in
Alberta, Canada
Level 10

@Stephanie  I did NOT make any personal comment about any HAB member. I simply agreed with @Emiel1, who also made no personal comment. I take great exception to the perception that’s left here by *personal comment removed*. That’s my original comment, there.

This censorship over even mentioning ‘HAB’ is a bit beyond. I must say.