I'm thinking about stopping hosting on Airbnb

Ben326
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

I'm thinking about stopping hosting on Airbnb

Hi guys,

This is my story.

I had a very disrespectful guest in my apartment. She broke the handle of my washing machine, she used my belongings without asking, she breached the house rules in many ways and many times, she was lying all the time, making up stories, anyway she was very unstable.

One day she had a party on the rooftop, took all my cutlery, utensils, some food... She came back home at 10.30 ish with a friend, both drunk, talking very loud, laughing, very disrespectful and ill-mannered. I told them I was going to sleep as I wake up early in the morning and the house rules say quiet hours between 10pm and 8am and no partying. They didn't take notice of what I said. Then few minutes later, I hear a glass just broke and find out my carpet is full of red wine. So obviously, I'm starting to get a little bit more direct and ask them to leave the home straight away if they want to keep drinking. 

From then, the guest totally lost her mind and started to insult me, asking me to get the f*** out of my own place, to f*** myself, that I was doing Airbnb because my life was sh*t, etc while her drunk friend was trying to fix her mistake but was actually doing worse than it was.

I was shell-shocked. I told her that I couldn't let anyone insulting me this way in my own place and that she had to leave my place with her luggage straight away. She then started to cry, her friend didn't know what to do so she decided to leave. Then the guest locked herself in her room. I asked her many times to leave but she didn't do anything about it. I then called Airbnb to let them know about the incident and that I asked her to leave my place but she didn't want to abide. Airbnb tried to call her in vain.

When I told her I called Airbnb she asked me to get in and take a seat next to her on the bed doing unwelcome physical advances. I asked her again to leave. After one hour of lies and fake cries, she finally managed to leave my apartment.

I couldn't believe what happened! This girl was clearly mentally ill.

After her stay, I found out that 3 wine glasses and 2 forks disappeared, she stole the towels provided at check-in, the washing machine was broken and my carpet soaked with red wine.

After all that, I tried to repair the washing machine myself but couldn't do it and had to call a professional cleaner for a quote.

So I opened a first resolution case through Airbnb for the carpet asking her to pay the cleaning. She accepted it.

Then I tried to open another case for the washing machine as you have to open a resolution case one by one. She then refused so I asked Airbnb to intervene, they replied saying that they were not notified of the loss or damage within the specified time-frame. they received the notification after 15 days and the time-frame is 14 days. But because you can't open two cases at the same time and because it took her a while to answer, I couldn't do better.

And the best part, of course, is that she left a untruthful review, full of lies that I tried to get removed. Airbnb replied saying:

"It is our general policy not to remove reviews. This is because reviews help to generate an honest portrayal of the variety of experiences that our hosts and guests have with each other. There are rare instances when we do consider the removal of reviews, as outlined in our content policy"

Did I read HONEST PORTAYAL? And isn't this case a rare instance?

So now, this is the situation: I've got a mental ill girl that insulted me like I couldn't imagine, broke my washing machine that I'll have to repair and pay myself, left an untruthful review and Airbnb doesn't seem to do anything about it.

It could happen again tomorrow and I wouldn't get any protection from them.

Oh, by the way, I precise that I'm a superhost, have always been respectful to my guests and have great reviews. 

So yes, I'm going to take a break of hosting on Airbnb for a little while...

1 Reply 1
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Ben326 ,

You can comment on an untruthful review and write a review yourself about the guest.

You can report the guest to airbnb (every profile has a "report this... textlink).

Incidents like this happen and Airbnb not allways responds in a way it should be.

It's part of the business. Learn from this experience and get over it. The next guest will probably be wonderfull !