I need help from Airbnb for an important issue but it is not doing anything at all :((

María0
Level 3
Barcelona, Spain

I need help from Airbnb for an important issue but it is not doing anything at all :((

I’ve been an Airbnb host for 4 years and I live in Barcelona. A super host too. I just wanted to vent a bit...sorry about it. You don't have to say anything. But I feel compelled to speak out about how Airbnb is not anymore what I, at least, thought it was. I've been an avid supporter of Airbnb’s campaigns, have attended Airbnb Open, I’ve inspire friends, family and guests to use and support Airbnb because of its “altruistic” vision on Sharing Economy, etc., etc. However, upon seeing firsthand how things were developing here in Spain, I started to express Airbnb my concerns on how it was operating here that was bothering so much the different local governments in the main tourist cities, like Barcelona. Airbnb, for years is been refusing to remove from its platform all illegal apartments as the Local government was requesting. I guess money weighs a lot. Other platforms agreed to it and the government stopped looking into them. Not Airbnb. Because its stubborn ways, now organized anti-tourism movements are affecting not only Barcelona but other Spanish cities as well. The local government knows about where and who are behind the legal licenses, so to put more pressure on tourist apartments, hosts like me—that have been paying like a clock the city tax, the revenue taxes and all legal obligations asked to touristic apartments, are receiving messages from the City Hall stating we have to pay fines (up to 30.000 euros) for the most pointless things. In my case, I have a fine because my license number is not coming out in the first line… it comes out in the fourth line on my apartment’s profile. I called Airbnb to perhaps give me some orientation, or to write a letter stating that I indeed have posted for years my lincense number. I've been writing messages to the Help center, I've been calling every day since I received the note about the fine... but NO answer whatsoever. Nothing!!!! Whole cities in Spain are now banning ALL touristic flats, legal and illegal. Airbnb has been for years resisting to lose the income from the thousands illegal apartments that get advertised in its platform. Today, years later, we , legal hosts, are paying the price of its bad (greedy) management. Today, Airbnb is still advertising illegal flats in Barcelona, I know of hosts with no license flats that never ever reported a tax in years and that requests the tourist tax to their guests and putting right then that money into their pockets. Those are the hosts Airbnb is been defending and protecting here in Barcelona, and certaily for its own econocimal interests. Now, the legal ones are the ones to be sacrificed. The government is putting pressure by putting large fines for silly stuff… and Airbnb is not doing ANYTHING about it. I do not believe anymore in their blah, blah, cooperative and fair society and save world empty speeches. Perhaps in their origins it was so. Today, Airbnb is today one more multinational company-- cold, calculating and greedy. A total disappointment. Aurbnb is not family nor community at all like, it proclaims! 

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have always thought of AirBnB as a booking service, best to avoid the spin.

David
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@María0

I believe your issue is with the City Hall and not with airbnb.

I guess Airbnb not abiding by City Hall''s requestes of removing apartments with no license and obeting city laws is also an "issue" of City Hall... and Airbnb not having the consideration of at least answer me with "sorry about it.... but cannot do much about your situation" after my many calls and messages is an "issue" of City Hall. I am just asking for a letter from Airbnb confirming that I do have my license number posted in my profile. But Airbnb had hidden my license number .... that is not a City Hall issue it is an Airbnb issue. 

@María0

I guess many legal Barcelona hosts will agree with you on that, but airbnb leave the responsibility on the hosts to comply with local laws and regulations and we have agreed to that when listing our properties.

Perhaps there is a forum where you can discuss among the Barcelona hosts ?

I Am writing in different posts and blogs because I have the need to speak up. I have been a host abiding to the dot every single thing within Airbnb and also within my city tourist laws. Airbnb had hidden my number license because when its system detect a possible phone number just hides it out. But was there all along. I am just asking for Airbnb to confirm that with a simple statement.  I am obeying the laws.... this is not a issue about that. Is an issue that Airbnb system hide out my license number when inspectors were checking .... I know that mosts hosts are quite loyal to Airbnb.... I have been all along too. Airbnb preaches community and that we are as a family. Really? What it costs for someone from Airbnb to answer my note? 

@María0

I have seen and stayed with a Barcelona host that has the license number in the listing, so there must be a way without the number being removed.

Don't worry Mary Ann, I am not pretending to earn your sympathy or support here. I know very well what I am talking about it here. I know what is happening in my country better than you and how because the stubbornness of Airbnb not wanting to removed from its platform all illigal apartments now what is happening is that in cities, whole cities , are closing down tourist apartments , ilegal and legal.... here the only winners are the hotels and the anti tourist organized movements.  Booking.com and others did obeyed the government's requests and not in the news Daily getting all sorts of accusations like Airbnb is now. I have my right to share my story and that is what I am doing.  Thanks for your comments though. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@María0

Steady here, I am not pretending to know what is going on - just trying to point out that is unlikely that airbnb will get involved. I would go so far as to say it is naive to think so. In their T&C they put all the responsibilities on the host exactly to avoid such issues.

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @María0

All EU listings have the ability to put business details on a listing, this is the correct place to put the information you are supposed to show. Anywhere else and it will get hidden

Go to your "Account" and click on "Settings" then Click on "Edit your Business details" 

Ask your council if they know about this feature and if it is acceptable.