I need some advice. Single woman hosting and mostly men stay here and hit on me.

Heidi125
Level 2
Swarthmore, PA

I need some advice. Single woman hosting and mostly men stay here and hit on me.

I mostly have men stay at my small space.  I have a two bedroom.  Only 2 men I have hosted did not hit on me.  They all tell me I am attractive, do I have a boyfriend, etc.  This last guest is really upsetting me.  He is 70.  I am in my 40's.  He has been asking me don't I feel strange hosting men?  He is asking me this and yet he is a man.  Told me how attractive I am.  The last guest told me he wants a divorce and told me I am rather attractive and started hitting on me.  How do I stop this from happening?

I work from home and should I really have to escape my own place?  

I want people to just sleep here, do what they need to do and leave me alone.  I am sick of it and it's making me rethink this whole airbnb situation.  I miss women staying here. 

Does anyone have any advice?  

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

@Heidi125 while it’s ridiculous you’d have to, I would change your profile pic to one that includes a male and maybe use the reference “we” in your initial conversations with solo male travelers to give them to idea you are attached and/or another male may be staying in the house. This could ward off some of the creeps who specifically seek out attractive female hosts. 

Lisa-I0
Level 1
Lee, MA

it says in the AirBnB policy that's it's ok to refuse the opposite sex if you have shared spaces. I only have a private bedroom and a shared bath, kitchen, and living room. How do you refuse all men? Is that really possible?

Heidi125
Level 2
Swarthmore, PA

Well, I am refusing men.  I have a shared bathroom and 700 feet of space that is shared.  Too small and every single guy but two has hit on me.  I tell them I have a boyfriend, makes no difference.  I am done with men staying here.  Married men, you name it.  They have all hit on me.  One guy kept going into my room and leaving chocolates for me on my night table.  Who does that?  He was here with his girlfriend and doing this with his GF in the next room.  

Idoya1
Level 1
Barcelona, Spain

HI!! i  am in this situation right now. After several not nice situation with men travelling alone, I specified that I don´t accept stright men unless they travel with a woman. So Airbnb blocked my account for being discriminatory.

And it is not that, I just want to feel confortable at my own place.

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

HI @Idoya1 

On my own list I say that I host "Females only".

I do not host couples, but I would take 2 friends (I even hosted a mother and a daughter).

If you are sharing spaces, like bathroom and kitchen, you can do it.

Thank you for your help!

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

This article shows the Airbnb rules regarding hosting only guests of same gender:

Can-i-choose-to-only-host-people-of-my-own-gender