I need to report a fake profile, but I also want to get reimbursed for damages by that guest

Ellie96
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

I need to report a fake profile, but I also want to get reimbursed for damages by that guest

I'm a new Airbnb host and I am having problems with people throwing some pretty big parties at my unit. So I guess I really have two questions. 

First, what preventative measures has anyone taken to prevent guests from throwing parties? 

Second, I had a guest book recently and he said he would be in town visiting family and there would be no more than 4 people staying (4 is my max). On the night of his reservation, I get a call from a neighbor (my unit is for rental only, I live about 20 minutes away) saying that there seems to be a large party going on and they look pretty young. I call the guest and he admits there is a party and that he will get everyone out. I told him that he and 3 other people could stay, but I would stop by to confirm. When I got there, he was gone and I called him again and he said he would not be back. So I went in to survey the damage. The place reeked of weed (my neighbor said she could smell it from INSIDE her restaurant across the street) and there was weed and tobacco all over the counter, in the bathroom, in the bed, and ground into the carpet. There was also serious damage to the hardwood floors, and my smart lock was missing a piece. The next day, I went to my Airbnb booking confirmation to see what my options were for reimbursement, and it turns out he changed his name! 

So now that you have some background on the situation, what do I do?? Obviously, this is a fake profile (I'm not even sure what his real name is!), and I do have a screenshot from my smart lock system that shows his name before he changed it, and now I have the new name in my bookings. So I would like to report the profile, but I would also like to get reimbursed for the damages. If I report the profile, does that remove it and then I no longer have that booking to get reimbursement from? What would be the appropriate steps to take? Please help! 

24 Replies 24
Iftikhar0
Level 2
Centurion, South Africa

Hi All

Someone has put my holiday Home on AirBNB as fake profile , and is collecting deposits for November and December , I have reported this twice to the help centre, but my home is still listed under a fake profile. I am seriously concerned about my safety as strangers have approached me to say they have booked my house on AirBNb

Would appreciate any help...AirBNB simply impossible to contact

@Iftikhar0 

You must open a new threat in the forun with this message and the link to the fake listing.

@Iftikhar0  Yes, please post this as a new topic thread so it gets seen, not tacked onto another thread. Your issue is front and center now- the CEO has just issued a statement about how they are cracking down on unverified and false listings. Your post makes it obvious that this is just PR talk. 

I suggest you watch this video and then call Airbnb back and ask them why they aren't taking the false listing down, since thier CEO is talking about how vigilant they are going to be going forward now.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/11/06/watch-airbnb-co-founder-and-ceo-brian-chesky-speak-live.html

@Iftikhar0 - could you send me a direct message here on the community center with more details on your holiday home / the fake profile? I'll escalate this to the top customer support team.

Thanks,

Laura

--------------------

Lead, Airbnb Core Hosts & Community

Here's my Community Spotlight!

What are your favorite notes from your guests?

@Iftikhar0 

Twitter, blogs, facebook, the press...do whatever you have to do.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico
Iftikhar0
Level 2
Centurion, South Africa

Thanks < I have tried calling the call centre, no response 

@Iftikhar0  Try contacting them on Twitter- said to get better responses and they don't like their dirty laundry aired on social media.

The call center is notorious for never calling you back.

And if you post this again as a new topic, and post a link to the listing, as @Ale113 suggested, we can then all flag the account, which will get Airbnb's attention.

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Iftikhar0 

You could try contacting them via Twitter:

@AirbnbHelp

Good luck!

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Iftikhar0 

Also, best to start a new thread.