I want to allow pets to stay in my property

Lofthouse0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

I want to allow pets to stay in my property

Hi,

I am happy for people to bring well behaved dogs to my property and have hit "Pets Allowed" under house rules.

However, if I filter my property on a search it does not come up as pet friendly.  I have read through the lovely people in the Airbnb community state that Pets are also listed under amenities but I do not have this option.  I am new to Airbnb and yet to rent my place out.

Please help and thanks for looking at my listing.

Kind regards,

Steve

14 Replies 14
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lofthouse0  The pets allowed used to be under amenities and now it is located under Rules which is under Booking Settings.  Edit there to allow pets.  Hope this helps! 

Stephen343
Level 2
West Byfleet, United Kingdom

Hi Linda,

Thanks for the feedback, very useful. I think my listing looks good, however when I search my property by applying the filter “pet friendly” excepts my property so I am worried that the filter functionality doesn’t work properly.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated,

Steve Lofthouse 

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

Hi @Stephen343

You have no listing on your profile.

Have you have ony just published your listing, it can take a while to be integrated into the system, usually online in 24hrs.

Stephen343
Level 2

Hi Jeff, Can you see this:https://abnb.me/SoFrXhYMmL

Thanks for your help,

Steve

I saw your listing and did not see the pets allowed under Rules therefore will not show up in a search as pet friendly.  Check your editing, @Lofthouse0

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Linda108 I think we might have had another little program change, my listing use to say "pet friendly" but no longer mentions anything about pets and I've double checked the box is ticked. Also if you search for pet friendly property, I come up but non of the listings that I can see mention being pet friendly.

@Stephen343 just add Dogs welcome to your listing description.

Stephen343
Level 2

Hi Linda,

Thanks for your help.

Under Booking Settings -> House Rules

I have stated Pets Allowed but it still does not show up on my filters.

Best wishes,

Steve

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lofthouse0   Just a warning- all dog owners will tell you their dog is well-behaved. The reality may be quite different- holes dug in the yard and garden, scratches on the doors and furniture, dog hair all over the bedding, dog feces and urine, things chewed up. Since you're a new host, you may want to consider not being pet friendly until you have some experience as a host. Don't expect airbnb to have your back if you say you're pet friendly and then guests' dogs destroy stuff or leave you a horrendous mess. The pet fee may not cover the damages.

Stephen343
Level 2

Sarah, You make some great points and real food for thought there. Thanks for taking the time. Best wishes, Steve

@Stephen343 You're welcome. I am a dog owner myself, so I have nothing against dogs, I just know that many people think it perfectly fine for their dog to lie on the beds and sofas, etc. I had an aquaintance tell me that "Of course, my dogs have dug up all my gardens". Of course? 

No way would I consider that okay dog behavior.

I'm not pet friendly because of this, also my dog is very territorial and wouldn't accept another dog staying here, especially another female dog.

Lofthouse0
Level 1
England, United Kingdom

We do not live on the property so no issues with our dog mixing etc.  However, everyone in Woolacombe has a dog.  All the bars allow dogs, taxis are dog friendly and out of season the only way to attract clients is via dogs as it is a wonderful place to take your dog on the beach.  That said all the furniture is brand new!  We will keep plugging on and debating this subject at home.

Anyway it's kind of academic because Airbnb does not allow my filter to say dogs so I won't get any.

Many thanks, Steve

Susan869
Level 6
Lupton, United Kingdom

It can take a few days for the pet filter to synch, at least it did with me about 2 weeks ago. As for allowing pets, maybe I’ve been lucky but I’ve welcomed pets for 3 years now and have found most pet owners are so grateful to be able to bring there pets they leave the space cleaner than people without! I would recommend leather type sofas as they are far easier to clean than fabric for hairs etc and have a vacuum available for owners to use. Most pet owners are very considerate and I think I’ve only had 1 instance that I was a bit annoyed by the state of the place after a pet owner and 5/6 of non pet owners.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Lofthouse0

Remeber that AirBnb has a pretty odd definition of Assistance Animals so excluding pets has little effect on excluding dogs.

David
Stephen343
Level 2

Hi David, Not aware of that. Will take a look now. Thanks for the heads up, Steve