I want website language in English by default!

Andrea484
Level 4
Chiusi, Italy

I want website language in English by default!

I live in Italy and Airbnb has decided that my default language must be Italian.

No way to change it by default into English.

Has someone succeded bypassing this bug?

40 Replies 40
Burak23
Level 1
Austria

Finding the Language setting is a bit complicated.
I was totally annoyed that everything changed to Austrian after I have selected that I do speak German for my hosts in my profile (I have actually chosen Turkish, English, German in that order, I was also displayed these in this order, but AirBnB decided to show me the pages in a sub-version of the last chosen language, instead of the first, or the original). I went to my profile settings but there was simply no option to "change the display language of the website / menus" Reading here I was looking on the bottom left on the settings page, which also did not have a language option.

Finally I have found a language setting on the bottom right of some pages (not all, not here while reading the community pages). Putting this setting simply on the main settings page would have saved me at least 30 minutes and the extreme annoyance of seeing "austrian german" althugh I have just chosen "German" wthout specifying austrian.

So look out for a language setting on the bottom right of a listing page. As the main page has auto-reload-on-scroll you will not easily be able to scroll to the bottom of that page. And neither the settings page nor these community pages have the language setting option on the bottom right. On top of that it seems like the Button to change the language has mooved quite a bit over the time, some people citing bottom left.

I as a user would expect a Language settings page in the settings and profile section just in line with Security, Privacy, Badges & Connected Apps. That would make it much much easier. This page could have three areas right next to each other one for "Display language of airbnb website" (this I would set to english) one for "Display language of listings" (which I would set to "original language it was posted in, since I hate auto-translate errors) and the last section for "languages that you can speak and understand which will be forwarded to your host" (where I would put an extensive list German, English, Turkish)

Simple language settings can really be a huge annoyance and AirBnB is one of the very worst examples I have seen till today.

I'm not seeing the languages option in the listing page. If I click listing I can see my tow listings, then I can click on "show the listings" (or similar). But no language option shows up

Tony575
Level 1
Richmond, Australia

it show French although  im not French and i have never come to France or speak french. sadly 

Irina222
Level 2
Wädenswil, Switzerland

Hi All,

I just changed my computer, I live in Switzerland, and now airbnb is in German... was before in English.  This is because of your browser settings... nothing to do with airbnb.  I will re-set my computer to english as I did the old one, and then everything will be english.  Change your browser settings.

I understand that airbnb takes the browser settings by default, but it should be able to let the user customize the language without impacting the browser settings, IMHO

hell no !!! I have russian settings but it forces me to use german version !

let's go to booking !! I would rather pay extra to booking com than use german version of airbnb

Charles453
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

I have tried all the suggested fixes and tweaks to no avail. 

I have opened numerous cases with AirBnB Support - also without joy. 

My latest experience just about has me in tears of frustration. Please read on for my most recent message to AirBnB Support - it's just so exasperating. 

24.07.19 sent to AirBnB Support

I have a major major MAJOR problem with the default language for my account profile.

My listing is in ENGLISH, I speak ONLY ENGLISH - but for some unknowable reason most of the messages that come into my email inbox are in Chinese. I throw them away immediately because I can't read or understand Chinese.

I CAN NOT READ OR SPEAK CHINESE!!

The AirBnB message I received on JULY 22, 2019 from Airbnb Support (4:12 PM), says ......

"Hi Charles, the issue you are encountering is a technical problem. We will fix it soon. Sorry for any inconveniences caused. I have applied a coupon for you, it can use for your future booking on Airbnb, thanks for supporting us and wish you a nice day!"

Then how come the very next message I received from AirBnB today (9.47pm) asking me to rate my experience with Airbnb Support WAS IN CHINESE (See below). How perverse is that?

"Charles,您好:

感谢您联系我们。希望我们的回答解答了您的疑问,并且xxxx为您找到了解决问题的方法。

为了帮助我们改进服务,我们希望询问您几个问题,以了解您最近和我们的互动情况。回答这些问题只需1分钟时间。您的回答将有助于我们打造一个更好的Airbnb

开始答题...

根据您最近和xxxx的互动情况,您有多大可能向朋友或家人推荐Airbnb?

根本不可能极有可能

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10"

So I just threw it away - because I can't read Chinese.

It's like someone at Airbnb Support is having a joke with me - lol hahaha

But really, is there someone there in a senior position that knows what's going on. You may not be aware, but there's a whole AirBnB Community group of hosts, many many people from all round the world, over the last 7+ years, that are so frustrated and annoyed that this situation never get's progressed or fixed for anybody. It just keeps going on and on and on ..........

Are we all just wasting our time when we send messages to the help line seeking support? Because nothing has changed. The problem is still there.

These good responsible hosts are the backbone of AirBnB but keep getting a dud result from AirBnB.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE can someone fix it.

It's making my hosting experience with AirBnB (and many other hosts also) really unpleasant and at this stage I cannot recommend AirBnB to anyone.

Please don't misunderstand me, this message is friendly, constructive and well intentioned.

I want to continue as an AirBnB host - as a happy host that has great positive experiences with AirBnB ......... and especially doesn't get anymore messages in Chinese.

Thank you in advance for your friendly reply.

Kindest regards

Charles

Response from AirBnB 24.07.19

信息已收到。 由于正值出游旺季,客服热线繁忙。 我们将优先为已经开始行程的客户服务。

如果您的行程尚未开始或已经结束,您可以说明问题并附上相关文件。 我们会尽快回复您。

据我们所知,解决问题的最有效方法是主动与您的房东/体验达人或房客/参与者沟通。 我们建议您在联系我们之前先与他们交流。

如果有人身陷危急状况或受伤,请立刻联系当地警方或急救部门。

11:36 PM

Lior21
Level 1
Sderot, Israel

On the bottom corner of Airbnb home screen click "Terms, privacy, currency & more" (gray button) and select your preferences

Charles453
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

On my Airbnb home screen (Dashboard) I don't have "Terms, privacy, currency & more" (gray button) to select preferences. I think they must vary from country to country. While I originally set my language default to English, I don't have access to any language preferences buttons - I wish I did of course. 

Sarge0
Level 1
Munich, Germany

The same **bleep** for location in germany !! I do not speak german but I can't change the language to english !!

stupid aribnb designers that can't implement language change in the menu for easy change !!!

Jesse218
Level 1
Atlanta, GA

same here. my account was hacked and put into russian. Now it redirects to airbnb.ru and even though I reset my language, it doesn't change. I don't know if airbnb is hacked or buggy or both....

Marie1717
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

its at the complete bottom on the right the select your language an currnecy 

David4540
Level 1
Tra Vinh, Vietnam

I live in Vietnam but  my default language is French!!...What the F...! how to change?? maybe they think that Vietnam is still a France's colony? which go over nearly 80 years. haha

Andrei114
Level 1
West Lafayette, IN

Have the same problem. When I open airbnb.com it always redirects me to ru.airbnb.com and show everything in Russian, despite my default language is English. Many times I reached their support - they do nothing. Shame on you airbnb!

Aneeq0
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

I figured it out!

After clearing my cache (and other browsing data), the language stayed to what I selected even after refreshing.