I was rejected by the airbnb host without any justification, I could not enter the house and unfortunately the airbnb did not help at all, I had 3 painful days full of nightmares

Halil51
Level 2
Istanbul, Turkey

I was rejected by the airbnb host without any justification, I could not enter the house and unfortunately the airbnb did not help at all, I had 3 painful days full of nightmares

I was staying at an airbnb home in New Jersey and when my booking period ended, I rented a new home for 3 days. On the day of check-in the weather was very bad (heavy snowing), I texted the host and asked if I could enter before 2 PM, which is the check-in time. The host wrote that it is only available for 2 PM or later, I understand.

Since I had to check out from the house where I am currently staying, I arranged a place to spend time (it was not easy at all) and wrote that I wanted to check-in in the evening. The host wrote that this was not possible, the check-in time was exactly 2 pm. However, in his first message he wrote "2 pm and later ...". And even though I had a reservation, he refused me. I called Airbnb but they didn't help at all. I arranged a place to stay that night.

The next day I went home at exactly 2 PM. There was someone else at home. I called the host, he said he couldn't accept me, he refused again. I came home with Uber, it was very cold and unfortunately I was stuck in the cold weather with my hand luggage. I immediately called airbnb and asked for help. We had long phone calls, but unfortunately they still did not help. They just said "go to a hotel, we will try to help you". So I went to one of the closest Newark airport hotels. There was no improvement that night. I sent my one-day hotel bill to airbnb and asked them to pay the bill. Because they said on the phone that they would help with this. But they did not pay and although I had a 3-day airbnb reservation, I was not accepted by the host, I had a lot of problems, airbnb did not help me in anything. I could not get my money back. And I had days like nightmares.

Now I have been staying in New Jersey for 15 days but not on airbnb. I did not know that the Airbnb system is such a flawed system that does not take into account passenger complaint and leaves its passengers in the middle, I learned here, but it was very painful.

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Unfortunately,  these stories about horrible customer service from Airbnb appear daily here, both from hosts and guests. Used to be, if a guest had a situation like yours, Airbnb would try to find them another comparable place in the area, and even give the guest an extra $10 for the inconvenience or in case the new place was more expensive. But it seems they are outsourcing all their customer service to clueless robot-like reps now and it's extremely frustrating and angering to all users.

It also seems that you encountered a very strange host, in that he said you could only check-in exactly at 2M, when his check-in time was officially from 2PM on (and likely there was a cut-off time?)

You could try to pursue this with Airbnb if you haven't received a refund from that booking- if you try enough times, you will hopefully and eventually get a more well-trained and sympathetic rep or you can ask the rep you get to escalate it to a supervisor. I hope your communication with this host was on the Airbnb messaging system, as that is the only way to prove that the host limited your check-in to exactly 2 PM, opposed to the check-in times he stated in the listing.

@Halil51