I will miss all the Pride festivities so much!

Sally221
Level 10
Berkeley, CA

I will miss all the Pride festivities so much!

There was going to be such a huge party this year, the 50th anniversary of San Francisco Pride.  That awesome, mad creative, resilient community has the best parties ever, full stop.. Virtual will have to do but, dag nabbit! All the artists are leaving, it's going to be wall to wall tech bros in Baghdad by the bay, I just found out that The Stud is closing, waaah.  Sorry for the vent that has nothing to do with anything airbnb, just loss.

3 Replies 3

@Sally221  Sadly, one of the many things this pandemic is costing us globally is safe gathering places for the LGBT community - and for us, of course, it's all too familiar to have our whole community devastated by a deadly virus.  For many of us, Pride celebrations and dedicated queer spaces like the Stud (RIP) represent an awesome party, but for millions more they're a desperately-needed lifeline in an otherwise hostile environment. Stay safe, everyone, until we meet again...

I know, I have lived in the bay area my whole life, the 80's were heartbreaking, so many lovely lights went out. I truly didn't mean to be trivializing, it wasn't long ago that coming out, even here, was a very brave & risky thing to do. In many areas nearby it still is.

The little 1st world losses keep mounting up tho'- my grand daughter was going to be valedictorian of her middle school graduation, my older daughter is stuck doing $$ online classes in faraway San Diego & we had plans for a Rager party for Pride. Mine is an artsy, creative family with scads of gay friends (around here at least, the 10% is more like 40% in the theater, music & arts community) There was going to be several D.J.s & dance floor on the common parking area, 50 years is a milestone we really wanted to celebrate, with a multiculti, multi generational blow out. Sniffle, I'm going to Blast some Donna Summer & remember the old days, Halloween in the Castro was THE BEST PARTY EVER & raised some serious $  Stay well & I'll stop whining & be grateful

@Sally221 @Anonymous 

I think when we talk hostility towards the LGBT community it's hard not to think of Asia. Unfortunately, it's extremely rare to personally see or even know of anyone who is openly gay in S.Korea. 

https://time.com/5836699/south-korea-coronavirus-lgbtq-itaewon/

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/11/south-korea-struggles-to-contain-new-outbreak-amid-anti-lgbt-backlash