I would like to ask guests with no reviews (only) for a security deposit. What is the best way to do it?

Elyas4
Level 2
Tracy, CA

I would like to ask guests with no reviews (only) for a security deposit. What is the best way to do it?

Hello, 

We seem to have some bad luck with guests with 1 review or guests with no reviews. Either they trash the place, they smoke, or even steal small items (phone chargers, towels or kitchen mat !). I would like to ask for a security deposit from them - not the other guests that have established accounts. What is the easiest way to do it? From what I've read, Airbnb security deposit set up is not the best option for hosts as they have a hard time collecting the money for the damages occured. 

Thank you!

2 Replies 2
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Elyas4 the best way to collect a real security deposit is to list on platforms other than Airbnb.

However, if you want to try it on Airbnb, you must (a) disclose on your listing that you will charge this deposit separately and in addition to the guest's regular payment, (b) collect it by requesting money in the resolution center, which you can only do after their regular payments are completed (and you don't get any notice about when this is), and (c) be prepared that Airbnb customer service will not back you up if you attempt to withhold reimbursement after the stay.

Alex208
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

@Elyas4 the last two guests I hosted were new with no reviews, and unfortunately had bad experiences with both. I have paused on accepting new reservations from people without any reviews.