IB guest works at hosts former employer

IB guest works at hosts former employer

I do not wish to have this company’s employees in my home for moral and ethical reasons. I am also suspicious of his stay here. 

What should I do? Guest instant booked and arrives in 48 hours.

It is possible he knows nothing of my past work history at this place. It is also possible they sent him here. I fear for my safety for the latter. 

please help! 

5 Replies 5
Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You should get in touch with Airbnb if you need to cancel a stay, and sooner rather than later, @Whitbeck-Ridge-Farm0

@Gordon0 Thank you. I have talked it through with someone I trust who knows the former situation/outcome and have decided it’s only one night. At least the guest disclosed his reason for visiting the area (though it’s still not clear why he chose our place when other accommodations would have been 5 rather than 35 minutes away from his new job). I appreciate the response and guidance: thanks again. 

Why don't you ask him @Whitbeck-Ridge-Farm0 

@Whitbeck-Ridge-Farm0  How large is the workforce of your former employer? Did you know the guest personally? And do you have reason to believe that the company has a competitive interest in sabotaging your listing or spying on you? 

It's not immediately apparent what the ethical conflict in hosting this guest would be (any further detail on that would be more appropriate to the locked Host Circle board) but if something in your history with the company makes you feel unsafe, you can try pleading your case with Airbnb via phone to get out of the penalties. But it's not a sustainable solution if the company is genuinely trying to send staffers to your home. If there's a whole group of otherwise legit guests that you feel the need to exclude, and you don't want to get shut down over discrimination issues, you'll have to turn off Instant Book going forward and vet your guests before accepting. 

@Anonymous Thank you! I am fairly certain my former employer not want to send business my way unless it were for untoward reasons. They would do what they could to cause a hardship given the chance ... and I don’t think this is that chance - though I do admit to having a trauma reaction to having anyone from there in my home let alone staying there. After talking it through with someone I trust that knew the situation/outcome, it is unlikely this person is aware I ever worked at his new employer. It’s also just one night, so I am certain I can get through that being gracious and avoiding work conversations!  The worst that can happen is he takes pictures etc of my home but the reality is that anyone could do that so. It’s just one night. Thank you again for the quick and wise advice!