IDfy: Verification Process in India

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

IDfy: Verification Process in India

Hello everyone,

This post is particularly for those of you who are based in India as it is regarding the personal verification process we’re launching in India with our partner IDfy. There have been a few questions on this here in the Community Center, so I hope the following helps. 🙂

We’re starting by asking small groups of hosts to complete this verification process. If you haven’t received an email with instructions from Airbnb yet, it’s coming soon. You’ll still need to complete the new verification process even if you already have the Verified ID badge.

The process goes as follows:

1. Once you’ve received an invite from Airbnb, you’ll start the verification process by providing some basic information, including your name, father’s name, current address, and Aadhaar number to IDfy. The information you submit must match your Airbnb profile.
  2. You will also need to upload a copy of the back side of the Aadhar and a current address proof.
  3. Within 2 weeks, you'll receive an email letting you know the status of your verification. If anything is missing or incomplete, IDfy will reach out to you by phone or email.
  4. Someone from the IDfy team will be visiting your current address to verify the same.

Some frequently asked questions:

What if I don’t have an Aadhaar Card?

If you don’t have an Aadhaar card, you should consider obtaining one, as this is now the preferred identity card to access everything from a SIM card to social services.  You can find more information about obtaining an Aadhar card at this link: https://uidai.gov.in/

You can also use a Passport as your Identity proof. But in such case, you will be required to provide a copy of your Passport (first and last page) and proof of address to IDfy.

What documents can I submit as valid address proof?

You can upload a copy of your Aadhaar Card, Passport, Utility bills, Voter ID or the rent agreement that has your name and current address on it.

What if I do not currently reside in India?

In such case, we would recommend that you add the person responsible for managing your listing as a Co-Host. He/She can be a family member, friend, colleague or your property caretaker as well. Your Co-Host will also need to complete the verification process. The process to add a Co-Host can be found in this Help Center article: How do I add a co-host to my listing?

For more help and details please visit the link: What should I expect from the host verification process with IDfy?

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

35 Replies 35
Jyothi0
Level 1
New Delhi, India

Hello

This conversation thread could not have been timed better!

I had received the email from IDfy about a month ago and had uploaded the necessary documents to complete the verification. Twice they emailed me back saying that the current address proof was invalid, whereas my passport clearly states the correct current address. After several clarifications in which I insisted that I will not upload another document as the one I had uploaded was sufficient proof of address, they stopped replying to me. I did not ecen receive an acknowledgement from them confirming the validity of my documents.

Then, a few hours ago, I receive the following email from them:

Hi Jyothi ****,

Thanks for starting the host verification process through Airbnb’s partner, IDfy.

The verification information you submitted to IDfy could not be completed because during our visit we were unable to trace the address and upon calling you for directions you refused to provide the same.

This information is required. The deadline to complete this verification process is May 15th. After this date, your listing(s) will be temporarily deactivated, and you won’t be able to accept new reservations until you complete this verification process. No changes have been made to your existing upcoming reservations.

Please request a new link to re-submit your information to IDfy by contacting us at (+91) 022 6179 8811, Mon - Fri 10:00 - 19:00 IST or support@idfy.com

Thanks,
The IDfy Team

_________

I was flabbergasted. I replied as follows:

I assure you that we have not received any phone call from idfy.

I am afraid you are making this process more complicated than I imagined. First you send me a message saying my current address proof is invalid, and after multiple emails clarifying the same, you do not even acknowledge that you've finally received the information you needed from me.

And now, you're telling me that I have refused to give you directions to our place?! That is untrue. I want your call records confirming that I refused. It is wrong of you to accuse me of something that hasn't occurred. 

Do re visit again to verify the property, or else I will be left with no option but to submit a formal complaint to Airbnb about your pathetic service. 
You can call me on 9xxxxxxx24 for any further information. I will be submitting a copy of this letter to Airbnb as well.
------

IDfy has now replied to my email saying they are sorry for the inconvenience and that they will look into what went wrong with the verification process.

I sincerely hope that the verification team is every bit as competent as Airbnb, a portal that I believe is extremely prompt and professional in their approach. Unfortunately, so far, I haven't had a great experience. If there is a mechanism for Airbnb to ensure easy and prompt verification by IDfy, I recommend that you do it. I hope I will not have any issues hereafter.

Thanks
Jyothi

I too had a similar problem, only I wasn't as polite. Will certainly not accept any aspersions on my integrity or intentions based on falsehoods.

They have apologised for their incompetence, but not for their arrogance.

lets see what happens next

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Jyothi0 and @Atul2,

Thanks for letting me know about this and for sharing your experience with setting this up. I am sorry to hear it hasn't been as smooth as hoped, I  do hope others have found it more straightforward. At least once this is all set up, you will not have to worry about it for some time. 

I will pass you feedback over to my colleagues who are working more closely with this. If I receive any more information or updates I will be sure to share them here with you. 

Thanks so much,

Lizzie

--------------------

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Hello!

I have a question regarding the idfy verification process:

I am currently not living in India, so I have someone who is taking care of my airbnb property.

I will have to add this person as a co-host as far as I understood. Do we both need to provide our Aadhaar numbers in the verification process, or just me and not the co-host?

Thanks!

Aravind

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Aravind0,

Thanks for your post here. In terms of your question, they will only need to know your details of co-host if you are based out of the country. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Hi Lizzie,

I am also living outside India, not sure how to provide my Current address details as it is not in India. I know need to add the person who is taking care of property as a CO-Host.

Does it mean that only CO-Host has to go through address verification?

Looking forward for your advice.

Thanks!!

In my opinion what I just read about IDFY is not enough. They are far worse than that. I am not sure if they do verifications at all.

I started my first verification process in April and now I am in my third and still nothing happens. They just do not show up.

So I have my place deactivated since many months back and have given up hope to ever get back again. I have been talking to the support numerous times, but they just do not care.

Before this verification nonsense I had about 90% full booked through out the year and AirBnB had 70-75 % of that. Now it has dropped a lot, but luckily the competitors to AirBnB are much more hungry so they are increasing now.

AirBnB owe me money for the last about 15 booking they had so I will try for a while to get that money, but to get back in business here again - absolutely impossible!

It really looks like AirBnB think they can make money on bureaucracy and forgetting what they once did - matching hosts and guests.

Good bye AirBnB and rest in peace.

I'm Czech living in Goa, same problem.

Last year or so, I registered  property for rentals, and after 10 times emailing whatever documentation (marriage cert, rental agreement, husbands details etc.), I just went ahead to another hosting platform. Less headache than dealing with incompetents, who don't know even how to read most of the time.

I understand the importance of security, however it's just discouraging dealing with this nonsense. 

Jyothi0
Level 1
New Delhi, India

Hello Lizzie and others

Since today is the last date mentioned to complete the  host verification process in India via Idfy, I just want to update here that NOBODY from Idfy has come to my property till date, even after having given repeated instructions.

They called me twice, once asking me to upload my documents (which I had already completed months ago) and again asking me for a 'landmark'.  Ignoring the fact that they had questioned my integrity and professionalism by earlier emailing me a blatant lie "that the host REFUSED to provide directions",  I gave them detailed directions, as well as a Google map location. In the meanwhile, I had about ten guests visit my property, without even having to call to ask for directions, as it is by the side of the state highway and is easily located on the map.

Unfortunately, this is the most unprofessional part of Airbnb that I, as a host, have ever seen till date. Here's to hoping that my listings do not get deactivated today. It is a very busy holiday season with the school vacations going on in India. I assure you, that on my part, as a host, I have done everything that was required of me after first confirming with you that Idfy is a legitimate organization. The rest is up to them...and of course, up to you.

Thanks

Jyothi

I completed the verification process and got an email of completion as well. The property is registered under my dad's name and I am hosting it. Unfortunately on May 24th My property has gone unlisted and I am unable to List it back. Can someone help me?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Subin0,

Thanks for your message. It is great to hear you have all been verified and are ready to go. 

I tried to view your profile from your post here and I too am unable to see it, perhaps it is under a different account to the one you posted from. However, if not, I would recommend contacting the Support Team directly as they can take a look at your account. 

Here is a useful Community Guide (created by a host here in the CC) on the different ways to do this. 

I hope you get this sorted.

Lizzie

--------------------

Rasheed0
Level 1
Kochi, India

Hai, Is the owner of the property have to verify his personal details before verifying his property?

Gurunathan0
Level 2
Pallivasal, India

Hello Lizzie,

I have been hosting my property through Airbnb from past 7-8 months. The recent IDFY verification process is too complicated and I am behind this proccess for almost past one month and still I am not able to pass through it although I have shared all my details. Its really frustrating. At first I hope they asked for my propert address and I shared it then they asked me to share my current address which I shared for whichh I received a response as below "

We had requested for your current address proof where you are staying as of now and not of the property.

You had updated the address as [Personal information hidden], Bangalore , Karnataka which was not traceable.

"

eventhough I have stated my complete address they state that its not traceable I am not sure what is the approach they are using to find an address, I hope they are aware of google maps.

Then after for the same mail replied with all my same details in a very detailed manner you can find the same as below.

"Hi,

The current address which I am staying is as below.
Gurunathan [Personal information hidden]
BANGALORE,KARNATAKA,[Personal information hidden]
India [Personal information hidden]

LandMark : [Personal information hidden]
Google location :[Personal information hidden]

Still if you guys have any trouble in locating my address, once you send your agent please ask them to call me on[Personal information hidden]. So that I can guide them. As I am staying in an apartment it would not be much helpful for you if you enquire about me with locals, because they would not be knowing me. The apartment which I am staying is just on the main road side on[Personal information hidden] main road. 
Already my listing is deactivated in Airbnb just because of this verification process, and I am behind this process for quite long time. It would be great if you can help to get it resolved ASAP. I have also shared my location on google map it would help you find the exact location. Still if you need any help please do not hesitate to call me on[Personal information hidden] anytime.

Thanks & Regards
Gurunathan

"

Then I received a mail from IDFY team stating that they have reinitated their process and still I am following up with them but there is not updated.

I have also shared the same with community-in@airbnb.com and I got a response stating that they will help me to get it resolved through IDFY but still no progress in the verification process.

I was a very happy host with Airbnb as a host until a month back, and this verification process in india has toally changed that.

It would be great if you can help me, else i feel its time to move out of this. And its a kind request if you can make the verification process more easier, its really frustating.

Thanks & regards

Guru

Amit20
Level 1
Mumbai, India

Hi,

I have done the IDFy verification on 8-Jun. and on 28-Jun IDFy team told me that they have completed the verification and informed AirBnB about it.
but still I am not able to list my property.
Pls help.
-Amit