If I write a review and the guest does not, will mine ever be made public?

Answered!

If I write a review and the guest does not, will mine ever be made public?

I understand that both host and guest have 14 days to leave a review and neither will be made public until both have been completed.

My question is, if I write a review and the guest does not, will mine ever be made public? I\

1 Best Answer
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosemary287  All reviews are published, regardless of whether both parties left reviews. If only one, it will appear after 14 days. If both, they will appear as soon as both are submitted.

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60

@Charmaine82  How you "feel" about the guests, or their behavior isn't the point of a review. Just deal in facts that other hosts would want to know. Did they leave the place clean? Did they communicate well? Did they follow house rules? They either did or they didn't, it isn't a matter of feelings.

See my experience @Gail772

Hello,

I'm late responding...sorry.  ALWAYS LEAVE AN HONEST REVIEW.  IF they left a bad review.....you can respond to it.  I'd do it on the fourteenth day.  Just to have the last word.  I think that'd work.  Not sure.....someone will respond to this.  Maybe I'm wrong.  We have our suite in our home, so I have very little tolerance with naughty guests.  One of us is home all day, so not much gets by us.  Airbnb is brutal with letting reviews stay regardless of the situation.  So be firm with yourself about honest reviews.  We made the mistake of not giving a bad review to bad guests.  Won't do that again.  The ones that pay......the next host that's getting your bad guest.  Protect all of us from the disrespectful ones.

take care,   Colleen

I too have been on the end of reviews that are inaccurate and often the process not understood by guests.  Unfortunately, if I have a bad guest, I don't leave a review in the event they are trying to undermine or potentially a bad review that is uncalled for.  I do however, leave my comments for the guest on how they could improve.  I have charged for extra cleaning and didn't get paid. Also had items stolen from my home from the same guest.  I also make sure to put notes about the guest in my personal section.  If a guest is egregious I report them to ABB.  There is definitely

a learning curve regarding reviews.  It's sad that as a host or other hosts, must suffer based on the process.

@Jamie786 Sorry but if you do not leave review for bad guests then the whole review system is massively undermined. To then complain about the review process is just bizarre.

I had my first nightmare of a guest since I've joined.  Airbnb got involved and for the first time, they really helped me and noted that they were in the wrong.  The guest left a bad review which consisted of all lies that will hurt potential reservations and I have all written documentation and photos, showing how this guest lied in the review and AIRbnb will not remove it!  They were even the ones who cancelled his reservation for lack of responding to them and the rep finally got through after 4 days and told me that he understood what I was going through because the guest was argumentative and accusatory to him as well!  What is AIRbnbs problem to allow this review to stay up???  I think I should have a great attorney to address Airbnb when this crap happens.....What personal section are you referring to where you put notes on a guest?

@Patricia2165 This same thing also happened to me this week! I have proof of lies and inaccuracy and they allowed the guest to keep their slanderous review up! So disappointed in airbnb. 

Julie3531
Level 2
Falmouth, United Kingdom

Hi everyone,

Just wanted some support really.

I take real pride in my Air BnB. I keep it spotless, respond to all messages within 5 minutes. Make guests aware to message me should there be any issues.  My place is very reasonably priced (Its in Cornwall and I haven't put my prices up despite the huge surge in demand) Its in a great location and is a large self contained apartment. 

I have received fabulous reviews (not too worried about a few 4's) and and now a superhost.

I received a booking from one guest, I messaged him to ask the name of the other guest-no reply. On his arrival I popped down to say hi and there was an additional guest. (not a problem, I just supplied another towel) We had an amicable chat. and I told him that I was easily contactable if needed. Half way through their stay I messaged them to ask if they were enjoying themselves-again no response.

I was really shocked to receive a very curt message once they had checked out complaining about the heating-I immediately responded and said that a previous guest had asked for it to be switched off, and explained that it was actually back on but on auto  on for 6 hours)and not continuous -a simple error for which I apologised. He also moaned that the freezer wasn't working-in my manual I state to switch the freezer on if required and explain that I feel it is a waste to run it if not needed but guests are welcome to make use of it.-Obviously he hadn't read there manual.

I was really disappointed to receive a THREE star from this guest! He stated that there was a terrible smell coming from the bathroom. Again I had no idea and am so annoyed that this was not relayed to me-how can I rectify an issue if I am not made aware of?? He also had the cheek to mark me down for communication when it was him that hadn't responded to me. The final straw was to mark me down for value-he would not of found anywhere cheaper given the size and location of my place.

Sorry to go on and I know I shouldn't dwell on it and move on, but really a 3? It seems so unfair. 

I rang Air Bnb, and although they can see his no responses they say he is entitled to his opinion so won't take it down

@Julie3531 I understand that you’re here venting and I’m sympathetic. I do have some objective comments for you, though. You have a lovely place and many great reviews. If it can withstand a price increase, why would you elect not to raise your rates, appropriately? Higher prices attract a higher quality of guest. Keeping your prices down will not ensure good value ratings from the cheapskates, as that lot typically only consider something that’s FREE to be good value. They also tend to be complainers. And anyway, who cares about value ratings? Too much importance is put on the ratings system on the whole. Good reviews matter the most. 

To be fair to your guest, yes they should have messaged you about the heating, but it was entirely within your control to ensure it was on before their check in. Being on top of things like that is critical. 

It’s an unfortunate fact many guests don’t read all the things they’re supposed to, so it’s in our best interest to compensate for that. In your initial messaging with guests, you could ask them if they plan to use the freezer, so you can turn it on ahead of time for them. Little things like that can improve guest experience, and remove potential for complaint. Alternatively, stick a note to the freezer door explaining that it needs switching on if they wish to use it.

Re the issue in the bathroom, perhaps they just didn’t wish to deal with you or the plumber coming in to investigate and do whatever repair might be needed, during their stay. 

Finally, a quick peek at this guest’s profile and review received/given could have offered some clues as to what you were in for. It looks like he complained about the weather on his first stay, and perhaps downgraded the host for it, or maybe he even asked for a refund. Ugh. For that stay, he described the converted stable as having “faded glory”. Lol. 

Thank you for leaving an honest assessment of this guest, for the benefit of future hosts.

Julie3531
Level 2
Falmouth, United Kingdom

@Colleen253 

Hi Colleen,

Many thanks for your reply.

I feel my rates are high enough to not attract "cheapskates" as you say, and I don't want to end up with gaps in my calendar which could happen off season were I to raise my prices.

Fair point about the heat, but it wasn't actually switched off, just set to come on for about 6 hours, instead of continuous - its very mild down here at the moment, so I find it hard to believe the guest was cold. It does get too hot if set to on all the time. I do believe he was just looking for things to complain about

I had already decided to put a note on the freezer to make guests aware.

Given that my in instant book is on am I able to decline a booking? (eg If I read what reviews the guest has given other hosts?)

Also if I state in my review that I don't wish to host a guest again (like Martin Hunt!) does that mean he can't book my place again?

Many thanks Colleen

@Julie3531  "I received a booking from one guest, I messaged him to ask the name of the other guest-no reply. "

This was your red flag that this guest doesn't read and doesn't respond.

So expecting that he would read the manual or any other info you provide was unlikely. 

Julie3531
Level 2
Falmouth, United Kingdom

@Sarah977 

Yes fair point thank you Sarah.

I am so sorry. It really feels awful, doesn't it? I was upset for weeks. Our guest gave a 1!  Please see @Gail772

Julie4211
Level 2
Quito, Ecuador

can I make changes to a review I wrote about a guest?

@Julie4211  You can edit your review of a guest for 48 hrs after submitting it, if the guest hasn't also submitted a review. Once reviews have been posted, you can't edit them, although you can request that your entire review be removed. But you won't be able to write a new review.

It's really important to make sure your review isn't written in haste, before you've had a chance to thoroughly inspect how the guest left the unit, or write it when you are still feeling emotional about somethiing the guest did.

If you make sure to always write reviews that are an honest, unemotional account of your experience with a guest, you shouldn't end up feeling any need for regret.