If guest cancels and I give full refund can I still get 25% back from airbnb?

An39
Level 2
Boston, MA

If guest cancels and I give full refund can I still get 25% back from airbnb?

If guests asks to cancel because of Covi and ask for full refund and I give it can I still get 25% back?

5 Replies 5
Clark48
Level 2
Charlottesville, VA

@An39 I'm looking for this answer as well - from reading others, I think there is a strong suspicion that issuing a full refund essentially waives your ability to receive the 25% of the cancellation fee (since there isn't one anymore with you issuing the full refund).  Have you gotten any follow up on this?

Nanxing0
Level 10
Haverford, PA

I'm concerned about this as well. I guess what we can do for now is to have a list of the cancelled reservations that we manually refunded using the resolution center and ask Airbnb later. 

@Nanxing0 Did you issue the full refunds already? I find myself in the position of not wanting to do anything for the time being. I hate to do that to the renters, but I'm not trusting Airbnb's policy right now.

@Clark48 I did for all of them except for just a couple extreme cases like a guest was planning to stay on 3/13 and cancelled in the evening of 3/12 telling me his travel was cancelled due to COVID-19. It's always a debate on this topic TBH. Guests feel they are entitled for refund as long as they didn't stay with us, but that's certainly not right since we spent time/effort/resources communicating with the guest and if the guest has occupied our calendar for some time then it's essentially cost to us although we cannot easily measure it by money. Simply logic is that if a guest occupied our calendar and cancelled last minute then we lost the potential booking from another guest due to the occupation of the calendar so it's indeed cost of resource from us. One similar example is the Airbnb service fee, that before the pandemic they never refunded the service fee even if we issue full refund. The logic is pretty clear that the guest has used the Airbnb resources in the booking so it's already consumed although the guest hasn't stayed with us. 

Cary13
Level 2
Duivendrecht, NL

Those of us who have a flexible cancellation policy are out in the cold.  I have lost 19 reservations due to the virus. The guests stated this when they canceled. I am very upset about this policy they are stating because I have lost over 3000 euros thus far.