If the guest cancels and they didn't get a full refund, can they still leave a review?

Ann10
Level 10
New York, NY

If the guest cancels and they didn't get a full refund, can they still leave a review?

I had this guest who agreed to our terms and contract. She asked to see it and I cut and pasted it on the Airbnb thread before she booked and she agreed to it.  Later, she said it was not normal for ABB and her husband said they were not going sign it. This is their 1st time on ABB. They are from China. We get a lot of guests from China.  Maybe I could have let it slide, but we treat all the guests the same way.  I said ok we can't change our criteria, but you can cancel because it's in September. So, they did cancel. I was surprised that they only got a 50% refund.

If I get booked for that day, I will give them the rest. Can they give a review even if they cancelled?

3 Replies 3
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Ann10  You have a Strict policy. So do I, if I can rebook I refund them. She canceled before checking in she can not leave a review. I also have a Rental Agreement with ID required on AirBnB and get some slack. I had a guest not return it until 5 hours before check in last week on a last minute booking. I flat out refused to give them the code to get in without it being returned first. It's in my rules. AirBnB is not going to cover your a$$, so you need to cover your own. 

@Ann10 a refund (or lack of refund) is not what determines whether the guest can write a review.

What does determine whether a guest can write a review is whether the guest checked in to your listing. (With certain special cases for reservations that are cancelled on the day of arrival.)

Clint-and-Kendall0
Level 3
Daytona Beach, FL

Matthew is correct. A canceled guest cannot leave a review on your listing, regardless of whether or not they received a refund.