Illegal filesharing - what to do step by step?

Tom124
Level 2
Senglea, MT

Illegal filesharing - what to do step by step?

3 weeks after the guest was leaving I got the letter from the lawyer company that there was made an illegal download and filesharing with my internet account.

I was abroad at the time of the illegal download, the apartment was rented to an Airbnb guest.

In my house rules and in the contract with the guest was written that any illegal download from internet is forbidden and the guest is responsible for any fees.

The fee is more than 1700 euro for a downloaded movie (illegal downloaded in only 2 minutes), the guest paid only 200 for his stay of a complete week.

I contacted the guest and he said he knows nothing about any download or filesharing. And he said no other people were in the apartment during this time (at night 2am)

I have a proof that I was abroad, I have a proof that I informed the guest before the booking about the consequences of illegal internet behaviour. What are the next steps now?

Do I have to contact Airbnb support? If yes, where is the contact button 3 weeks after the stay?

I just can find the button to require money but I will not pay the fee because Im not the one who did the crime. If the guest says he knows nothing about it than it seems improbably to get any money back.

The 1700 euro is just for one illegal download of 2 minutes, what about when there are more downloads made during the week he stayed at my place? With this kind of crime you could book only one night and could destroy the owner with fees which are higher than the property price itself (200 minutes-less than 4 hours- of illegal download would be already 170.000 euro in fees!!!)

My question now is what are the next steps?

Send the lawyer company all booking informations about the guest?

Any help, advice or suggestion is appreciated 🙂

15 Replies 15
Dino20
Level 2
New York, NY

HELLO!  The same thing just happened to me and I was not in my flat.  I was in the US and can prove it.  The law firm is trying to shake me down for 915€.  And this is so unethical.  The law firm that's trying to sue me is called Waldorf. Frommer.