Im starting to get the hang of this!

Debbie106
Level 5
Bradenton, FL

Im starting to get the hang of this!

Ive been hosting since October 2016.  Today someone tried to book with me and there was a lot of resembling things to a person who got my pre approval 2 nights ago but didnt book.  So I asked her why she had 2 profiles and she said to take advantage of Airbnb referral offer.  I asked her to cancel the reservation (if I cancel then I get dinged by Airbnb for weeks until it is resolved, if it is resolved but if the guest cancels - no problems!) and to rebook in the profile that has her legitimate identification - I told her it was because Airbnb wont cover us if a different person is staying with us then the identified person.  Done!  

I have been very frustrated learning the hard way (a glade plug in air freshener is an "odor") how to make this Airbnb business work especially with their lack of access and support.  But I am learning.  

And today when Airbnb asked how likely I was to refer them to other hosts I gave them a 6 (yes, I got to rate them finally!).  Why so low...because its impossible to get support when needed and because of their unfair rating system and because of all the ways they make it extremely difficult for hosts and are quick to reduce host stats without learning first what the issue was.  Like why is my commitment rate at 94% when i have 1 cancellation out of 23 bookings?!  

Ugh, frustrating...but Im learning and making it work.  I enjoy hosting guests and I enjoy the extra money.  The more planning and communication I do with guests, the better the experience for everyone.

15 Replies 15
Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

I am so glad you mentioned Glade air freshners.

I use wax melters and was thinking maybe I should stop.

Not everyone will love Ocean Breeze or Mountain Mist.  But they have no problem with cigarette smoke and body odor.

Go figure!

As for your commitment rate, I believe they look at the last twelve months so if I suspect you've had 20 hostings in the last twelve months with one cancellation.

I'm new to this and I had my first guest arrive last night and so far so good! I have a guest that seems to be playing games with me! He says he's going to book after I pre- approved him and he never does and I have the dates blocked. Has anyone run into a problem like this? I am about to cancel his pre- approval so I can keep those dates open. How frustrating!

@Nina123 Just pre-approve and leave "block dates" unchecked. That way if you can another guest requesting and same dates and you also preapprove the second guest. the first approved guest (or instant book guest if you allow instant book) who pays gets the room. The status of the others with overlapping dates changes from approved to not possible.

Mirjam0
Level 10
Amsterdam, The Netherlands

hi Nina, 

Preapproved guests have 24  hours  to finish the booking. When  you preaprove a guest,  you can choose  to block the dates for 24 hours  or let them open forother guests to book. If you blocked  the dates  yourself, you can just unblock the dates,  so other guests  will be able to book with you.  

Succes!

I never hold the dates for then. Just preapprove

HI

I think pre-approvals expire after 24 hours so hopefully this has resolved itself, but if not, there may be a setting you can check to get it to expire in 24 hours. Good luck! Susie

simple! dont block the dates out i never do

oh thats good to know about the commitment rate.

Rebecca190
Level 2
Union City, NJ

I had my first neg review since i started last September.  I have to admit it stung and I was perplexed on what action to take.  I did not reply to the person.  I felt i only stood to be further muddied.  I felt especially upset that I had accomodated her beyond necessary and she did not talk to me about anyting she was upset about.  I had to leave for work the day she left, so I asked her what time she would check out.  She said in the review that i "asked her to leave" which is not at all what I meant.    I felt like clamming up and blocking dates for a while.  But then the next guest was so nice and friendly and he gave a nice review.  And to think that I was nervous about hosting men, but it turns out they seem easier to please.  I do not understand why it is so stinken hard to get a hold of someone at airbnb.  

@ Rebecca, don't get discouraged! I had one really negative review complaining about the steep stairs, the narrow spiral staircase, which "came as a total surprise" and yet which are CLEARLY described in my description.  (I went back and now put those aspects of my place in CAPITAL SCREAMING LETTERS.  They obviously hadn't read that part of the listing.... I kept thinking about it for a long while and really felt like responding, but I finally "let it go".  If you have a sense that people may not be happy in an Airbnb setting e.g. they are really expecting a 5 star hotel for Airbnb prices, you might make a comment that "they might be happier in a hotel setting" or something along those lines which signals to other hosts that they are a bit picky. 

Now when I get a request I ask them to make sure to read the description BEFORE confirming, so they know about these aspects of my space and it doesn't come as a surprise. 

Don't give up - I have really, really enjoyed hosting 99% of my guests, who have been fantastic and are not at all bothered by the steep stairs and narrow spiral stairs (some even find it "charming" and "funky"!)  You can make up for any shortcoming of your unit by your warm hospitality and small things like breakfast items, choice of teas with electric kettle, nice furnishings, etc. and your own personality!  Get back in there girl - you're gonna love it (most of the time!) - Susie

Hi @Rebecca190, here´s a little tip, especially when you are starting out.  Don´t pre-approve anyone or accept a booking request if they do not have a good review history from other Airbnb hosts.  And, if you are using Instant book, make sure you only tick the box stating "Recommendation from other hosts ".  This won´t necessarily stop all the weirdo´s, but it will go along way in helping ensure you get good quality guests.

Karen-and-Jim0
Level 2
Sherwood, AR

I have also been doing it since October. Google Airbnb questions/phone number. Once I got the phone number I have had no issues and they are incredibly helpful

JohnAndDiana0
Level 2
Prescott, AZ

How do you report these people as well as the trolls that keep messaging you that never book. They need to be reported.

Lately Airbnb has been deleting messages that are "trolling".  At least I have received a few emails this week from Airbnb telling me that they have deleted some reservations and messages from profiles that were not legit.  I do not give very much time at all to someonoe who has not booked.  I preapprove and leave the dates open.  if they book, then I answer any and all questions they have.

Also I try to ask them what their purpose of visit is so i can guage whether my room is a good fit for what they need.  

Now I can see early on when someone is just starting their trip planning and are throwing out "lines" to many listings to see who answers.  Again, if they dont book, i dont give them a second thought.