Impact of change in exchange rates

Tom742
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Impact of change in exchange rates

Hi All

I am travelling to the US (from the UK) at the back end of the year and have been making some early bookings to ensure I dont get stung by changes in exchange rates brought about by Brexit (yes, I know it can go both ways, but better the devil you know...).

I have been quoted in GBP and have chosen to pay half and the payment schedule indicates that I'll pay the other half a few days before the visit; my question is, have I locked in the price in GBP or will the subsequent payment change if and when the USD/GBP exchange rate changes? (i.e. is the exchange rate 'risk' taken by me or the host?)

Many Thanks to anyone who can clear this up for me as I was unable to find clarity on the FAQs on the site..

4 Replies 4

@Tom742 as a host I don't receive guest funds until 24 hours after they've checked in. And the fees I receive are what my listing states (minus the airbnb service fee) so I'm guessing that you take the risk on any currency exchange if you're not paying it all up front.

Tom742
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Many thanks Rachel

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Tom742 I booked a London trip in January.  I was quoted a total, and paid part of it then.  The remainder was charged to my card several weeks later, and the amount did not change.  So I believe that the total you were quoted will not change.

Tom742
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Many thanks Ann