Improving individual ratings?

Improving individual ratings?

Hello- newer host less than a year. Have  a question, how many “5” ratings are needed to get a “4” back up to a “5” for location and value.

6 Replies 6
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

An infinity of 5s, maybe, @Chris-And-Yvonne0 , but I wouldn't worry at all about it. Location and value are not important to either guests or Airbnb itself.

Guests choose the location for their own reasons, so they don't care that the last guest gave it a 4 because it wasn't close enough to Grandma's house.

Guests also have the price right there in front of them, so they decide for themselves whether they are getting value.

And Airbnb does seem to recognize the arbitrariness of those categories, as it does not include them in the superhost evaluation or send warnings to pull up your socks if those categories drop. Unless that's something new? Are you getting warnings?

The fact that location stars even exist used to bother me ("I can't move my house!"), but I've come to recognize them, and value stars, as a sort of relief valve. There are people who cannot bring themselves to give perfect scores in an imperfect world, so having a couple of categories that don't count for anything works for both sides.

Thank you so much for the thoughtful and professional response. It gives me more color and insight hearing this perspective. Algorithms can be complexed to understand and not worth the work at this point. What you shared was great!

@Chris-And-Yvonne0 I don't cringe when guests assign varying stars in the value category. How guests are rating me in that category gives me a little insight into my pricing. Location is useless.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Chris-And-Yvonne0 You'll need about 300 5* reviews to get back to a perfect 5. I wouldnt worry if I were you!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Chris-And-Yvonne0 

Have You ever tried to calculate that by Yourself?

Are You familiar with the terms „Microsoft Excel“ or „pocket calculator“?

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Chris-And-Yvonne0 

It all depends on how many 'less than 5' stars you have already received. 

Follow @Ute42 's advice on researching how to calculate an average.