In which case the host will pay cancellation fees?

Aya1553
Level 2
Fes, MA

In which case the host will pay cancellation fees?

I can't find a section explaining the host cancellation procedure!! In which case the host will pay cancellation fees?

If you are wondering about my Cancellation Policy, the option I have is “Flexible or Non-refundable NEW: In addition to Flexible, offer a non-refundable option—guests pay 10% less, but you keep your payout no matter when they cancel”

Why I’m posting this? It’s because Recently, I had to cancel 4 reservations in the end of December and the impact of this was huge and I wasn’t aware of that:

- My Super Host Flag was removed,

- As a Host, I have to pay Airbnb the total Amount of all canceled Instant Bookings in December,

- We have not received any payouts for the nights booked and our activity in January,

- Automatic Reviews posted by Airbnb under my profile “The host canceled this reservation X days before arrival. This is an automated posting.”

Please add a page explaining the impact of canceling any booking to all hosts because the situation is very disappointed.

4 Replies 4
Pascal-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Vercorin, Switzerland

hi @Aya1553 

The cancellation of a stay by the host is serious for the guest, put yourself in his shoes: he may have searched for hours for the listing that suited him, booked it, picked up his plane tickets, etc... and now receives the fateful announcement that the host has cancelled!

By using the services of AirBnB you have accepted the rules. Concerning the cancellation of a stay by the host see chapter 9 of https://fr.airbnb.ch/terms#sec201910_9

The only reasons for cancellation that do not lead to penalties are cases of force majeure (war, fire in your apartment, death of a family member,...). See Airbnb's Extenuating Circumstances Policy

On the other hand, before completing the cancellation process the system gives you one last chance and warns you that "...if you click on "cancel" you will incur penalties. Do you really want to continue..." You didn't take that into account, too bad for you.

In summary: It is the one who does not/cannot respect the contract/reservation that has to cancel. And he has to expect penalties...

A guest should never cancel a contract/reservation unless it is due to force majeure.

By the way @Aya1553 , you are not here at AirBnB but on a french speaking support forum for users ...

Thank you @Pascal-and-Astrid0 , I will make sure to not cancel any reservation in future!

Bex9
Level 2
Victoria, Canada

I am so sorry to hear that happened, they have strict rules and yes guests have a right to expect the space they booked - I have a current guest who asked for an extension and I only have a 3 day reservation in the middle of the time they requested but I don't dare lose my host badge or pay penalties 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When I have had this situation @Bex9  I just suggest to the guest who wants to extend that they find somewhere else for a short period if I already have a short booking which falls in the period they want to extend.