Inaccurate review from host

Jenna24
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Inaccurate review from host

I use Airbnb frequently for travel and am also a long-term host. I recently had a horrible experience with a host who then left a very negative review for me as a guest. Not only is it the first negative review I've had (as a guest or host), but it's full of inaccuracies and, in some cases, out-and-out lies. In my response to his review, I included how Airbnb handled the situation. I was happy with how they handled it, but I wasn't aware that I couldn't mention their involvement, so my response to the negative review was removed. Now, I am unable to write a new response.

I am very afraid that this review will negatively affect people's views of me, both as a host and a guest. I have contacted Airbnb to see if there is anything I can do further, but they said there is nothing else to be done.

Does anyone have any suggestions? 

16 Replies 16
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

I read the review and it's not flattering you.... But now i am curious what your (removed) response was and also how Airbnb was involved in your case. I wondered why Airbnb could not leave your response in place, by just cutting out the part regarding their involvement in the case ? Now you don't have any opportunity left to response on such a review.

Best,Emiel

They removed my response because I mentioned that Airbnb told me not to wash the dishes (one of the issues the host complained about) because I had to wash the dishes when I arrived. I also mentioned that due to all the issues I experienced, including when I arrived and found the host's friends in the unit I had rented, I was refunded half my money. The case had already been closed when I posted the response. I didn't realize that I couldn't mention Airbnb's involvement. As a guest, I would want to know about such matters.

When I asked Airbnb, they said, "once both reviews are written and made public you or Airbnb is not able to edit or respond back."

So much is a lie in the host's post. I did not break the bed (I sat on the edge and fell through the frame), I couldn't get out of the room because the doorknob is broken (not because the door is not aligned properly), the shower rod fell when I opened the curtain, etc. I didn't ask for the box springs. He already had them and said they were taking up space at his home and was going to bring them over anyway. He thought that would keep the mattress from falling through the frame again. (It did.) And he brought them over late afternoon/early evening, not in the middle of the night.

Plus, the listing is inaccurate. There is not parking on the premises but rather on the street. And on street-cleaning days, it was difficult to find a spot, even though he says parking is plentiful.

And so much more...

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Jenna24 ,

The host has a lot of reviews and far the most of them are OK. (But you did not write a review on him, why ?). You also have reviews from other hosts, which are all OK. So something went wrong between the two of you, allready from the beginning having a "false" start. The bad review reflects clearly some rancor, and there was obviously not a good "chemistry" between you and the host. It sometimes goes unintentially from wrong to worse. This is such a case and i think such an 'isolated" review will not to be taken too serious. But it's a pity your response is not published.

Best regards, Emiel

Deborah315
Level 1
Amphitheatre, Australia

Hi Jenna,

We had a similiarly bad experience a few years ago in Paris. The host hadnt told his housemates he had rented his 'room' ( dirty mattress on the floor not the room in the photo ) out and the whole situation became worse by the hour. The 'host' left a decietful review of us. All the other reviews from our hosts over many years point to us being great guests and every so often someone asks us to tell them the story. We share the story as a great lesson to all to be very diligent when you first contact a host and ensure they will be there to meet you, host or ensure you are welcome.

Move on, the other reviews speak well of you

Cheers

Deb 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jenna24

I can't see that host's review at all. Possibly Airbnb removed it all 🙂

Airbnb agreed to take down the host's review. I'm very pleased with their decision.

Good that this odd situation was resolved. If it had remained I would suggest that your “About Me” section addresses it or certainly any new inquiries or bookings should reference it too. “Hey, about that strange review... I’d be happy to discuss.”

As a host I’d feel better if you brought it up first. 

Both are good ideas. I'll keep them in mind in case I come across another such host. Thanks!

How!!! I have been trying to do this and they don't agree. 

First - I made a reservation from December to June - Once I got to the apartment the washer machine and the fridge were not working. It look over a month to get it fixed. 

Second - The host told a neighbord (family of hers) to enter the apartment at 6am with a spare key, so while my wife and myself were sleeping the neighbord came in! 

Third - I had to replace the front lock key because it broke and she didnt wanted to pay back.

Fourth - Police came once a week to the apartment to check if the host was back from her trip becuase it seemed she had some weird issues. 

Fifth  - the house had holes in the wall, never mentioned in the listing. 

Sixth - She was discriminative with my wife and my service dog. 

I asked Airbnb to help me moved to a new apartment. - After I moved the host left a horrible review, full of lies. I provided Airbnb with support and proofs that everything she said was a lie, and guess what? They told me "sorry learn from your comment" 

Right now I am staying at Airbnb new reservation and the current host is very scared to even she wants to check up on us every day! 

I provided proof that everything she said its a lie - with airbnb support chats and with the chats between the host and myself.

PLEASE HELP ME!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So often I suggest to hosts that are experiencing a negative review that they see if there is anything to be learned from this experience.  So, @Jenna24 as both a host and a traveler, any thoughts about how about this experience and what you would do differently?  It is helpful to all of us to learn from your experience.  Thank you

Jenna24
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I was actually a guest on this trip, but I do host as well. Honestly, I've thought about it over and over and I can't think of what else I could have done differently. I was upfront with the host about the issues, which were not petty ones, and I gave him ample time to respond. In the end, I'm chalking it up to the fact that he's trying to juggle a music career and 6+ properties, some of which are owned by cheapskate landlords. (He told me as much as he guided me through the apartment showing me all the things he'd fix if the landlord would let him.) In one of his early messages with me, he admitted to dropping the ball and said he had too much on his plate. So I think that when he realized I was going to write a bad review for him, he decided to do so for me.

The place was both dirty and dangerous. I couldn't believe how many positive reviews there were. Makes me want to write a blog post on the importance of writing an honest review — on any site.

In case you're interested, I was recently interviewed about being an Airbnb host. They left out a bunch of my favorite tips, but there are some good ones in here: http://www.youngadultmoney.com/2018/01/10/become-airbnb-host/

Chris395
Level 2
Clearwater, FL

It should be made possible to see all reviews an individual has given, as well as received. Whether or not to accept them would be much easier to decide.

@Chris395, I think I saw in another discussion thread that someone mentioned to you the AirReview browser plug-in, which allows you to easily see the reviews written by a guest.

Have you been able to install it and get it working?