Inbox

Jim40
Level 3
Mashpee, MA

Inbox

Hello!  I've recently been in the process of receiving/responding to inquiries from a potential guest.  When the conversation which was going very well seemed to end suddenly, I checked the  list of inbox messages on my cell phone, and noticed the designation "Closed -(name of guest)."  Can anyone tell me what this means?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Jim 

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Maybe they booked somewhere else?

If you want to know for certain why not give Airbnb a call?

Thanks to all for your timely replies.  I should have been clearer that my puzzlement is the Air BnB term "Closed."  It appeared as a prefix to a guest's name in the list of e-mail threads in my inbox.  I'm familiar, of course,  with the terms  "Completed," "Expired," "Cancelled," etc., but "Closed" is a new one on me.  Maybe the guest's account was closed?  By Air BnB?  By the guest himself?    

@Jim40  Yes, you're right- I've never seen that before either- it always says Expired if the guest just doesn't get back to me within the 24 hours. Maybe it happens if the guest actually withdraws from the Inquiry by clicking on something rather than just letting it expire. Maybe ask Airbnb what it means and get back to us? I'm curious now.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jim40  Inquiries are just that- a way for guests to ask questions without committing to a booking. Some may not even be that serious or have their flights booked or anything- they're just scouting the possibilities. They may have sent out Inquiries to 5 different places, as far as you know. 

It's frustrating when a host takes the time to message back and forth and then the prospective guest just drops out with no explanation, but it's part of hosting. The nice polite ones will message you back, thanking you for your time, but most (aside from the ones who go ahead and book) you never hear from again.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Exactly as @Sarah977 says. It can feel somewhat abrupt, but that's the way it is.