Inconsiderate hosting/ location not suitable

Arthur-Mark0
Level 1
Birmingham, United Kingdom

Inconsiderate hosting/ location not suitable

Hi,

I recently made a booking with a property but as all we know that with airbnb you would not know the precise location of the house. 

i had made the booking and manage to book straight away without any problem, but when i saw the address and i did look at the location this is where my nightmare started.

as per the listings description 

“ recently converted garage extension and great location.

GREAT WAY FOR A GET AWAY” less than 3 miles away from city center.

Walking distance from the local shops

The cancellation policy is non refundable as the booking is for next day.

When i saw the address, the location of the extension is in a cul de suc/ close.

I was taken a back as i  did had a traumatic experience in a cul de suc/close.

i cancelled the booking as i thought it will speed up the profess but it for worsen and with airbnb u Cannot just reinstate any booking.

I immediately contacted the host, called once not answered and emailed him through the app. And all i recieved was a NO from him. He never listened to me on whatever reason explanation i give him. He always wants airbnb to deal with me and he does not want me to communicate with him about the issue.

so i contacted airbnb back and forth and he was heartless in taking my hard earn money during the pandemic which is £400 and just refunded me £15 for the service fee.?

i did not receive any service. I just received a lot of stress and anxiety.

tried to contact him again by calling his MOM answered and she cannot understand me as she cant speak english and his son will call him back.

he called me and he NEVER GAVE ME THE CHANCE AGAIN TO EXPLAIN AND JUST TOLD ME TO SPEAK WITH AIRBNB….

so airbnb always tells me that the host will stick with his policy. But one agent ARTHUR had the HEART to listen and he said as a host he would understand my situation and will refund me if he is my host but HE IS NOT.

I have lost my trust with the platform as 

the host even have the courage to change the scenario that i am the one threatening him and abusing him.

he even reported me to airbnb it is because i sent him on airbnb, his number on the app and his number that he called me back about asking again in giving me  consideration I WAS BEGGING as this delayed has causes my job, my mental health and as he was so heartless and he was the one who is not cooperating but being selfish in being happy that his Listing is fully booked plus he got £400 off me.

I spoke to my colleague and if incase the issue will not be resolve over airbnb that the local council can help. Which i told him that i will report him. But he does not care and he was the one who is even angry and loves his money   And would careless if someone is being stepped on to

I am just speechless that there is a host like this that would love to earn money and would let anyone suffer more during the pandemic

6 Replies 6
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Arthur-Mark0 In future you should use a booking enquiry to check that all your specific requirements for a property are met. I am not sure it is the hosts fault that they are in a cul-de-sac.

The host was not cooperative. He only have few words.

No and speak to airbnb

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

When you do have such triggers @Arthur-Mark0, you need to do more research than most travelers.  Therefore it would be a good idea to do more advance planning than 24 hours for a trip. 

Arthur-Mark0
Level 1
Birmingham, United Kingdom

It was a like 2 years or something

There is no host desceiption aswell tbh and the listing description was not that complete. 

Only just like a small flowery description

@Arthur-Mark0 Our properties are at the end of a lane (effectively a cul-de-sac). We do not mention this as for 99.99999% of guests it is a non-issue.

If your requirements are SO specific you must ask questions of the host before you book.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Arthur-Mark0  As others have advised, if a listing is short on information, you should contact the host with an inquiry message before deciding whether to book it. 

Guests also have responsibilty to make sure a listing will suit their needs. You can't just blame hosts for not posting enough info if you just go ahead and book it anyway.

And although I realize there are sometimes valid reasons to need a place last-minute, it's often the sign of a guest who is a poor planner and didn't take the time to thoroughly read through the listing description or bother to make their requirements known, they just went ahead and Instant Booked. Pre-booking communication can avoid a lot of problems for both guests and hosts.

A host isn't being greedy because they upheld their cancellation policy when you had requirements you didn't make known, and booked last minute so their calendar was blocked from getting another booking.

And the service fee has nothing to do with the host. That is Airbnb's service fee. If you got the service fee back, that wasn't from the host, it was Airbnb who gave it back to you.