Incorrect price calculation for discounts

Sean14
Level 5
Northampton, United Kingdom

Incorrect price calculation for discounts

Hi folks

Most of my guests are looking for a 1-2 month stay and I offer a generous discount to encourage this.

For example:

Small bedroom is set to £16 per night and I offer a 22% discount. This SHOULD = £379 for the month. However, AirBnB suggests it will = £336 on average.

The same applies to all of my listings - the monthly fee suggested by AirBnB is quite a lot lower than my calculations. I can of couse fudge the discount % to arrive at the number I calculated but I wondered why this is happening in the first place. Any ideas? Cheers n beers. 

11 Replies 11
Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi

The payout shown is AFTER Airbnb deduct their fees.

So if you want to get 379 NET you need to charge about 390,00 - 400,00

Or reduce the discount..

Sean14
Level 5

Thanks @Roberta2 but even taking the fees into account it doesn't quite add up. AirBnB's host fee is 3%, not 9% as is the case here.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps what Airbnb is 'suggesting' (payout figure?) may be a calculation done before discount?

Sean14
Level 5

Hi @Fred13, that doesn't make sense as that figure would be even more wrong if it was pre-discount

You have a place for X amount say 400 x 97% (after Airbnb's 3%), so 388 should be your 'normal' payout right? But because of the 22% discount the 400 widdles down to 300 (3% + 22% discount) and they are 'suggesting' (aka ~payout~) above that? Generous of them.

Sean14
Level 5

@Fred13 £16 a night = £486 per month. 97% is £471. 22% discount of £471 = £367.

£367 is above £336, not below.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sean14

The 22% discount is calculated from £486. 

Sean14
Level 5

@Marit-Anne0 Thanks, I'd have thought so. Either way though the result is around £367 and not AirBnB's £336. Very strange. I might have to shoot them an email about this.

@Sean14

Just try and book your own place for a month for a quote. You have a cleaning fee that needs to be taken into account with the final payment as well.

Sean14
Level 5

Yes, the quote prices are correct 🙂

Parrish1
Level 2
St Augustine, FL

I just called AirBnB on this issue. Their pricing system is not working correctly. Even if you so not offer a discount, it may be giving one. Entering 0% in the fields still renders a discount. Also, if you change the nightly rate in Pricing, it does not change it in Calendar so that is also screwed up. They should be linked. I just got a booking that was way below the price I normally get because of this system. Hope they solve it soon.