Increase in problems

Cindy958
Level 1
Belgrade, MT

Increase in problems

Wondering if anyone else is experiencing an increase in guests mistreating your homes. In the last month we've had 4 major items broken or damaged and the guests don't even let me know.  The last guests was hostile and insulting. It makes me consider no longer being a host. We've been doing this for 2 years with rarely any problems. It's so disappointing. Any insights or relevant tips would be appreciated. 

2 Replies 2
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Cindy958 Perhaps we have been lucky but our guests over the summer were fine. We have been closed since early November due to government legislation so have no recent experience.

I wonder have you reduced your rates or let down your guard chasing bookings since the pandemic?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

We generally have lovely guests; communicative and respectful of our property.  However, we have also noticed a change in the demeanor of some of the guests we are attracting.  We have been doing this for over 15 years.  Past guests were quick to tell us their life stories, why they were visiting the area and gave us high marks for our properties.  Accidental breakages were reported with apologies and payment proffered immediately.

Current guests are younger in age, often bargain hunting (no I have not reduced my rates), and treat our property more like a hotel that allows dogs than a home that they are able to enjoy.   I want to say that they are not brought up (by my generation) to respect the property of others and to act properly as guests.  No, they think that because I have a vacation home I am filthy rich and can afford to buy new furnishings or repair things that they have been careless about; so yes, there is a change.