Increasing bookings

Gregory97
Level 2
Eugene, OR

Increasing bookings

We are new to AirBnB and had a successful October. Since that time, we only have had one booking. Can you take a look at the listing link below and give us some suggestions and advice. Thank you in advance.  Your help is appreciated.

Gregory and Patricia

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21173946

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi @Gregory97 ,

This question comes up regularly here on the forum. My thought is allways the same: did you have a look at your statistics page to check the amount of recent views ? It will place things more in perspective.

I took a quick look at your listing. First impression was: why does it take so long before the main photo appears on my screen ?

Can be an incident, so i reloaded the page, but with same slow result. Maybe some else here can check this too?

Your listing says:

- sleeps 4, but there is one bedroom with "real" bed, other is sofabed. But same additional price for extra guests after the 1th one.

- "gatherings to 20 people" are possible. Where will they be (sleeping) ?, as you also state upstairs can only sleep 4 more.

- There is a cleaning fee, but also says: Upon departure, we ask that you leave the unit in clean condition  (?)

- Quite (you mean: Quiet ?) time is 10:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. Is it a little bit too "restrictive" ?

It's just my personal remarks when browsing through the listing. I am curious what other people here would suggest or comment.

Your reviews are OK and everything looks fine on the photo's and looks to me very attractive place to stay (allthough never been in the  US).

Best regards,

Emiel

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

I'm confused by your photographs; they appear to show the entire house? Your listing says it's just an in-law suite, so your photos should reflect the actual space that guests are renting.

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Gregory97,

Nice to meet you!

I found a couple of topics of which I thought could be handy for you. Here are a couple of very helpful guides created by experienced Airbnb hosts. Many users find 'A Host's guide to Airbnb' and '25 tips to get booked' very useful. There are a couple of ideas that you could implement as the hosts did on this topic.

I hope you find this helpful!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hi:

Thank you so much for your comments and suggestions -- especially the 25 tips!  I think these will be very helpful!

Greg and Patricia

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gregory97 I like the space but like @Dee33 stated, your photos are confusing. I don’t think your cover photo is putting your best foot forward either. I think the space lacks the smaller detail decor. Like the bar area could have individual place matts. Set the dinner table. Turn the flat screen on. 

The couch and chairs obviously do you no justice at all. Why have stainless steel appliances, granite counters and a fraternity house couch? I could hammer on that couch all day but inside, you know you need an upgrade. The shelves in the bar area need glassware or other display items, it looks empty and not in a minimalist kind of way. 

The patio area, I like the grill and the space but Gary? Where do I sit down to enjoy my hotdog? 

Either spend $500 on a patio wicker furniture set($325 Amazon) or yard sale search for some good looking wicker sets. Inside outside living is huge now and your space is a major candidate for this style. If you hooked up the patio with different seating areas, you effectively double the living area. Just an idea but what about an outdoor flat screen, three stool bar set, outdoor pool table, zen water feature on the hillside, yoga matts, I’m just dreaming out loud now but I am really excited for your potential. 

Then you can promote the huge deck equipped with comfortable seating . 

I really like your listing title and it gets right to the point. 

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Hi:

Thanks for your suggestions. We have the patio furniture but brought it in because of the weather. I agree more attractive photos and added touches will add to the listing.  

Greg and Patricia

@Gregory97, I see other people have left pretty extensive commentary already. I really just had one question.

In the kitchen, the cabinets are obviously designed to fit a full height refrigerator/freezer.

However, the refrigerator in place is... not full height. It clearly leaves at least a foot of empty space above it that is normally filled.

Why spend so much on a gorgeous high-end kitchen and put in what looks like a cheap refrigerator?

@Matthew285 Nailed it! It’s like  a 50 50 job, where half is done right and the other half is done ..mehhh.

Someone obviously decided to make the finishes look good. Why cheapen the place and go low end on the furniture?

Now if your goal is just to get your listing up and running and any income is a ‘win’ for you, then have at it.

If you want to take your listing to the next level? That’s up to you and what direction you take. I really think every host should have a plan on what improvements we can do to our listings. I made a list of things of that need upgrading and I just cross one off at a time. I keep the list as a mental reward that things are getting crossed off. It is really a battle of attrition and the last one standing wins. It really helps to have a ‘failure is not an option’ mentality because there are day this business will just punch you right in the stomach. When I’m scrubbing the floors at my listing, there’s a sneaking feeling sometimes that just maybe once I don’t have to scrub behind the door. I mean who looks behind the door? My mother looked behind the bathroom door of my first apartment and she read me the riot act because I cut a corner. Now my inner me says ‘this is your brand, this is your business, honor it’. I might suck my teeth or roll my eyes but I always end up doing the best for my Listing.

Good Luck!

’You know it’s hard out here for a Host’

Thanks for your comment.  The refrigerator width is the only size that would fit in between the cabinets.  There is space on the height though and maybe we can tak another picture that would make the refrigerator seem like it is a better fit.  Thanks again. We appreciate your suggestions.

Greg and Patricia

@Gregory97, so they built cabinets with a gap for a refrigerator of full height (67 to 70 inches), not wide enough for full width (36 inches)?

Interesting.

Your listing looks lovely, by the way.

Alison227
Level 2
Spokane, WA

Hi Greg!

I viewed your listing from the link you provided and it said $70.00 a night. I went on through Airbnb and searched, Eugene Or.. tons of houses came up so I narrowed the search for 2 guests, entire house. 4 houses came up and yours was the 2nd one. House 1 is $68 per night. Yours said $95 a night and the last 2 were, $47 & $50.00. It’s important to be aware of what I will find when searching. I would chose a cheaper one just by nature. I thought your picture

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Gregory97 Can you please take a look at my listing and critique it for me. Thanks 

‘You know it’s hard out here for a Host’