Inquiry asking to see my Airbnb rental prior to booking a long term stay.

Inquiry asking to see my Airbnb rental prior to booking a long term stay.

I just received an Inquiry asking to see my Airbnb rental prior to booking a long term stay.  I feel hesitant to allow for this, for safety reasons.    There is a 5.o avg rating, 27 reviews from 2020 through 2021 and Identity has been verified.  That being said, I'm somewhat new to hosting and this hasn't come up before.   

I could use some feedback or even advice in this regard.  Why should I or why shouldn't I?

3 Replies 3

Never mind, but thanks.  I just found help with this through Airbnb.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Nancy1280 @Other hosts may disagree, but I have found that allowing a viewing rarely leads to a rental, and is a waste of time for my housekeeper and an additional expense to me.  I have excellent pictures, an accurate description and good reviews. That should be enough.  

As an aside, I do not recommend using Airbnb for long term rentals. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nancy1280  While I can understand a guest wanting to check a place out before committing to a long term booking, there is really no advantage to you allowing this, and it's a security risk for you. It's essentially opening your door to a total stranger, who has made no commitment.

The guest might be a thief who is using this strategy to take a look at what might be worth stealing, entry and exit points. Or they will try to get you to rent to them off-platform, so they can avoid the Airbnb fees. I've read posts from hosts who had allowed pre-viewings, but stopped. They wasted hours of time with these lookie-loos, who never went on to book.

Just tell the guest that you don't allow viewings, that they should be able to get a good idea of what is on offer by the photos, listing info and reviews, and that you'll be happy to answer any other questions they might have.

You could also suggest that they just book one night first, in order to determine if they would consider it suitable for themselves for a longer term stay.