Inquiry from a Guest with no reviews

Lisa990
Level 4
Omaha, NE

Inquiry from a Guest with no reviews

I have an inquiry from someone who has no reviews. She says she is visiting her boyfriend and bringing her mother and is from Australia. I inquired a bit more and it sounds like she may be legitimately visiting and she is over 21 but I’d like to get a better idea of whether she could be a problem. I had a bad experience with someone recently who didn’t have a review. Any thoughts?  Should I ask for her mother to be verified or ask more questions?  Maybe try to find out what her boyfriend is doing here? 

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lisa990  When I get an inquiry from a newbie, I endeavor to establish a rapport by asking questions about the guest such as has she been to the area before and what brings her to the area this time.  I also acknowledge that the guest is new and sometimes the site can be confusing so I ask for the guest to confirm specifics about the listing.  In my case, I want the guest to confirm she understands that it is a private room with private bath and that I will be in the home along with my dog.   With this kind of response to the inquiry, I am really looking for how the guest responds.  Does the guest try to engage as well or is there a sense of booking a hotel room.   

I also add that I truly want to provide an experience that meets expectations so it can be a mutually beneficial experience and a good fit.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Lisa990  Yes, ask some questions in a friendly, chatty way and see what kind of response you get. I'd also make it clear that only she and her mom will be allowed in the unit, not her boyfriend. Otherwise, you could find him coming and going as if he has paid to stay. 

I've accepted numerous guests with no reviews, but their messages when requesting to book were nice, articulate, and informative (except one, but I prodded him a bit and he was instantly forthcoming)  and they all turned out to be great guests. However, it defnitely pays to be cautious.