Insalubrious listing and AirBnB misinforming me then applying disadvantageous cancellation policy?

Answered!

Insalubrious listing and AirBnB misinforming me then applying disadvantageous cancellation policy?

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to share my current experience with you and see if anyone could have ideas on how I could get help.

I booked a 3 months stay on AirBnB because I moved to a new country for work. During those 3 months, my plan was to start working while looking for a permanent accomodation.

I got to the listing at night and used self check-in and found a dirty place which smelled musty. It was late so I left inspection until the next morning. Upon inspecting the place I found major health hazards including mold and pests (mice, I actually saw one scurry to a hole in the wall! and there are dropping in the counters). I contacted AirBnB that very day with pictures (in less than 24h and in any case before spending a second night.

We exchanged a few words on the chat and the AirBnB support person called me. They ensured me that they were taking this very seriously and would help me out. I asked whether there was anything specific I had to do, anything on my side at all and I was assured that nothing more than messaging them with the pictures was needed.

I was told I would:

- Get a small discount for the nights I spent on the listing

- Be able to check out anytime and see the full nights I didn't spend on the listing refunded

And I was also told I might received help securing another booking.

I was reassured and felt quite safe after this call.

As I know accomodation is quite scarce in the country I'm in, I started actively looking for an alternative on my side.

Then the case was closed, suddenly.

I replied that the issue wasn't solved since I was still living with mold and mice and inquired about whether any alternatives had been found for me to leave the health-hazardous listing asap.

I received apologies and was informed that no alternatives had been found within my price range so far.

So I went back to calling landlords and scheduling visit to leave the place as soon as possible.

Then suddenly, two days later, I got a message from AirBnB support, still in the same thread going as follows:

"I am really sorry but I made a mistake in telling you about the policy that applies in your case of mold in the listing.
According to Airbnb policy if the guest spend more than one night in the listing he will get

Refund of the cleaning fee + 20% of the first night. The host cancellation policy will apply. I am pleased that you have not checked out yet.

In the beganing you informed me that you are having difficulty due to mold. But you have now been there for four days.

The host is unable to rebook and suffering the loss. Can you please let me know if you still would want to check out or if you could continue with your reservation?

Apologies for incorrect information.
Thank you"

I was very shocked, I asked to be called back asap and haven't heard back yet.
I had explicitely told support that I had no alternative accomodation in the country and was looking for one since I felt the current place was very unsafe.

I explicitely asked whether there was anything I needed to do.

I was told explicitely by phone, and confirmed by writing that:
"As I have informed you previously that when you are ready to check out, the reservation will be altered. That means the nights that you have not spent will be refunded back to you.
You will get the refund of x% for the nights spent in the listing. "

And suddenly AirBnB decides to change what they've told me?
They told me it was fine to stay until I found a place and that they might help me find one but after I stayed on their advice I am now stuck with the standard cancellation policy?

So having mold and pests, which are 2 major health hazards, is actually ok for the host, and I have to go through the ordeal of abiding by their cancellation policy because they have an unsafe listing?! Moreover, if AirBnB had told me that there was this "you can't spend more than one night" policy, I would have definitely left and checked into a hotel or something, but I stayed because they told me it was fine and I had time to look for another place. So now AirBnB is penalising me for trusting their support center? On top of not protecting me against an insalubrious listing?

This can't be right, is there anything I can do?

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Richard2627 

This is a "travel issue" and Airbnb should consider it as such and act accordingly, as you reported the issues within 24 hours. DId you also inform the host about the issues ?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds

The cancellation policy for "long term stays" is : no refund of the next 30 nights after cancellation.

Ask Airb to shorten the reservation with full refund of the unused nights, as initially promised to you.

View Best Answer in original post

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10

@Richard2627 

This is a "travel issue" and Airbnb should consider it as such and act accordingly, as you reported the issues within 24 hours. DId you also inform the host about the issues ?

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/3028/travel-issues-eligible-for-refunds

The cancellation policy for "long term stays" is : no refund of the next 30 nights after cancellation.

Ask Airb to shorten the reservation with full refund of the unused nights, as initially promised to you.

Thank you.

The host showed up today so I told them, he was aware of it as AirBnB support had contacted him before I did. On my side I was waiting to see if AirBnB support asked me to contact the host, they didn't say it was needed and told me the host was denying that there was any mold despite the pictures I sent.

Ok, so this is indeed an issue and not a simple cancellation, as they had initially stated. I really don't understand what their new message is suddenly about.
My initial plan was to stay as little as possible until I secure another accomodation -I can't really be homeless because of a listing issue- and leave. If they can refund me from the day I leave I will be fine with that. But since they are not helping me rebook as they told me the price range was outside the possibility, it's hard to find something in very short notice.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Richard2627 

So maybe you can make a deal  with the host

- The host will resolve all issues and you will stay in the accommodation

- The host can shorten the reservation AND amend the price in the change form , so you can leave and are refunded for the unused nights.

Or Airbnb still considers it as a "travel issue" and refunds you according there policy on such issues.

I hope you can soon work your way out of this trouble.....

If this had been a minor issue I would have resolved it with the host. But there is no way the host can remove the mold from a whole house in a short amount of time. The pests could maybe be taken care of fast, but mold is a long fight (I know, I've seen it before).
Making a deal with the host sounds good but that might be hard to get. I'll wait for AirBnB to get back to me and talk with them if they don't solve it.

I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Thanks.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@richard 2627 The main issue is that you have not taken this up with the host and that you continue to stay in this environment .I understand that not everyone can wave a magic wand and suddenly spend extra money to go somewhere else or in fact easily find another place after spending all their money on an insufficient accomodation , the rules here do seem to support poor hosts. Keep all of your phone messages and become very active on your own account . Ask the host to come and see you and the accomodation as soon as possible . Be polite . Ask them to help you find more suitable accomodation and to after it is found to refund via a variation of booking your remaining nights as the accomodation was not as advertised and not what you expected . Photograph the areas that are an issue . Also state clearly to the Airbnb rep that you feel your health is at issue if you continue to stay in a mouldy area, but talk with the host via messenger or there are no clear violations . you did sign up for the hosts cancellation policy but three months is a long time, the host should have been part of talking about the issue ,because if they are not , then airbnb cannot take you seriously and unfortunately the person most likely to know where similar accommodation is ,is the host . most hosts do not take three month stays either,three months in a hotel will not generally be accomodated for you as it is not commensurate. Good luck . Its also a good idea to read the hosts rules and cancellation policy . all the best and start reading the rules and regulations that apply to guests now . Better late than never. H

Thanks for the advice about communication with host and photos, I had been following it.

> you did sign up for the hosts cancellation policy (...) start reading the rules and regulations that apply to guests now
Oh but I have read it. Extensively, and before booking. And I knew about the policy for travel problems, which is why I got in touch with AirBnB fast and am super surprised that they are now backing off from it depsite the health hazards. Travel issues and health hazards do not fall under normal cancellation policy, airBnB has a specific set of rules for it. I am just at a loss that they are not following them.

Keep at it until it becomes clear to the rep . The main issue is that your host will not refund you and Airbnb will not accomodate you. Ask for both repeatedely until it occurrs. the problem is they say it and eventually it may be the policy they follow but in the short term it seems that is not the case. to be genuine when you are telling the truth seems often to be more difficult to prove than the outright lies some guests and or hosts tell.Leaving a three month stay is hazardous certainly but you must be prepared to do so. Get the host to agree via messenger to refunds and point these messages out to Airbnb. Tell the host that you wish to leave and be refunded the extra nights because the accomodation is not as was represented to you and has and continues to have major insoluble 'cleaning issues;.Get what is left of the first month refunded and ask air to refund the further two months . Otherwise you will be paying these . Ask the host to send a 'variation' of the original term as you are not 'able' to stay because of the host created and unresolved issues. H

Sounds good!
I'm waiting to hear back from AirBnB, I'll keep following up with both as you advise.

Gwen386
Level 10
Lusby, MD

If neither the host or airbnb is taking you seriously, it may be time to notify host first, then airbnb, that you are contacting the Health dept about the unsanitary conditions. That would be my next step.