Insincere Requests Affecting Requirement Metrics for Superhost Status.

Wendy1071
Level 8
Mississauga, Canada

Insincere Requests Affecting Requirement Metrics for Superhost Status.

Hi Everyone,

My airbnb is in an area where rental housing is scarce.  I have many people inquiring into entering into a long term rental agreement, which doesn't work for us because we use the place personally several times a year.  These request always come in with specific dates and then I have to decline the request.  The problem is Airbnb wants me to accept 88% of the requests but these requests are not sincere in terms of the dates.  See below for my latest request:  

Hello, my boyfriend and I are currently in desperate need for a monthly rental while I am in school (NSCC) , he will be working full time. My current home is 2 1/2 hours away. Would you ever be interested in renting out month to month until I finish college? (Please don't mind the dates, this was the only way to contact you) 🙂

Below is Airbnb's 'reuqirements' 

What to work on Requirement

You    Target

Accepted reservations
Make guests feel welcome by accepting requests whenever you’re available.
75%
88%

The guest should be hitting the 'contact host' button but that's at the very bottom of the listing page and the person obviously doesn't see it.  Is this happening to anyone else?  Any suggestions?  Could the moderators please point out the dilemma to whoever it is that could correct it?

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Wendy1071  This  appears to be an Inquiry, not a Request. And yes, stupidly, guests have to enter dates to ask a question. You do not need to decline Inquiries, all you need to do is message back within 24 hours.

If it's a Request, try to get the guest to withdraw it, so you won't have to decline. "As is stated on our listing, we do not  accept long term bookings. I would suggest you withdraw this request asap, so you will be free to look for a listing which meets your needs. 

Since it seems you are getting a lot of these, I would put a sentence at the beginning of your listing descrption, "PLEASE NOTE: We only cater to those looking for short term rentals. We do not accept long term reservations."

Thanks @Sarah977  All excellent suggstions!  I will implement them all.