Instant Book issues

Edward6
Level 1
Indio, CA

Instant Book issues

I seriously honestly accidentally clicked on that Instant Book option and had someone almost instantly book a weekend for a very highly sought event for only two days while I was in the midst of 4 "pre-approvals/inquiries" with potential guests that were planning on staying much longer. The guest that instant booked without any inquiry or anything does not seem very understanding at all. After looking at the option of cancelling the reservation I see that AirBNB says I could be penalized by not being able to book that weekened after cancelling. It's my first listing on AirBnb and I am inclined to quit airbnb outright and use Homeaway and make certain I don't make any of these types of mistakes. But before I do that is there any recourse here?? 

5 Replies 5
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Edward6,

There are lots of help articles you could read to help you get familiar with hosting on Airbnb.  Many people just jump in without familiarizing themselves with how Airbnb works and they get themselves into trouble like you have.  

Most experienced host's advice would include not turning on Instant Book until you have used the system for awhile.  I am not sure what you mean by "had someone almost instantly book a weekend for a very highly sought event".  They either booked or didn't.

You are going to have to honor this guest's booking as you did have Instant Booking turned on allowing him to book.  Airbnb does allow you to cancel three Instant Book reservations but this is only if you feel "uncomfortable" with the guest which you would need to back up.  This type of cancellation does not include "calendar inaccuracy, confusion about pricing or availability" which this would fall under.

It is also not that you "could be penalized by not being able to book that weekened after cancelling" but you WILL be penalized as per the penalties for cancelling on a guest. https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/how-do-host-cancellation-penalties-work

Here are some Help Guides that I would encourage you to read. https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tricks/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728If you decide to "quit airbnb outright and use Homeaway", there is a guide on how to delete your listing and also how to delete your account.  You could also "make certain (you) don't make any of these types of mistakes" by taking the time to educate yourself.

Good luck @Edward6 and happy hosting!

Dave 

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

1) They did book. Maybe the "almost instantly" part through you off on an "Instant Book" topic.

2) I actually am uncomfortable with the guest at this point (assumptions are a persistent tone in your reply)

3) Do you reach level 10 status on a vacation rental internet forum by quoting a new host ad infinitum?? Haha 🙂

Thanks for the hefty snark. I'll look elsewhere for help. 🙂

I am sorry you did not like my answer @Edward6 but grow up!

I was in no way answering your post with "hefty snark" (yes I quoted you again).  I was telling you HOW IT IS!

I also provided you with lots of useful information to become a better host but I am sure you will not take it (another assumption) and that is your choice.  

Of course you are uncomfortable with the guest now as I was predicting (here is another assumption) you would now use this as an excuse to cancel the reservation.

I should really stop answering these posts of uncaring hosts who want to cancel on a guest and leave it to others who can hold your hand and tap you on the bum (gently of course).

And in terms of levels @Edward6, most of us who are on here trying to help hosts like you don't like to have levels attached for several reasons.  We try to help hosts but sometimes we offend them even though it is not our intention.  Maybe they should instead have levels that you choose yourself but they could be based on your sensitivity to feedback.  If they had that, I would have known to handle your inquiry like I do with my grade 2 students.  

Again @Edward6, happy hosting!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Confusion on my part as a new host is clearly what's happened. No assumptions needed Dave from Canada! 😄 Cancelling because I am uncomfortable with the guest won't be necessary. Although, I am uncomfortable with them 🙂 And AirBnB understands this. Things are being worked out.
It is clear how you got to "level 10".
Cheers!

You really need to be more respectful and thankful if you wish to seek help on this beautiful forum that hosts like Dave and many others maintain with so much passion that it's actually inspiring and very useful in becoming better hosts.

If you don't value people's time and help you aren't going to gain much from this community.

I hope you introspect instead of writing another snobbish reply to me like you wrote to Dave.

Good luck.