Instant Booking by Hosts who know they'll break check-in rules

Marie-Claire3
Level 4
Waltham, MA

Instant Booking by Hosts who know they'll break check-in rules

Twice in a row this week I've had people instant-book a room and texting me right away, saying they'll arrive after midnight on the first night despite my House Rules clearly requiring a by-10 PM arrival on the first night.  I made an exception for the first guest, but today I felt really put upon by these entitled young people and put my foot down.  This latest person doesn't even have a proper profile photo, and begs me to cancel so she doesn't lose a night's fee (because I'm on the "Moderate" cancellation program).  I answered that I would lose my superhost status if I cancelled HER, and I haven't heard back from her again, but she's still booked.  I can't trust Airnb to not penalize me since they are so unfairly pro-guest, and it would take months to sort it out.  What should I do, relent and put the key under the mat?  In the meantime, I have put my check-in time in all caps on top of my rules, but I think people don't event bother to read them, and it looks unfriendly to me.  Any thoughts?

2 Replies 2
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Marie-Claire3

The only thing I could suggest is put your check in time back to 15:00 hours and hope that ones guests don't push the envelope too much and arrive within a couple of hours of check in time. Some host favour a late check in fee, but I'm not really in favour of additional charges outside of the system as it is a friction point between Host and Guests.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

The Explorer's Club Krakow VIII

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Marie-Claire3 I think there is no reason to expect a problem from CS. If the communication string (on ABB) and your rules are clearly in conflict, then CS should handle this without question