Instant Booking without Government Identification

Answered!
Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

Instant Booking without Government Identification

A host may have a requirement that Government Identification is on file with Airbnb for instant bookings, but bookings will still go through without the ID on record. The only explanation I have had from Airbnb is that some hosts are OK with this. 

Instant booking does seem to help in the rankings and get you more bookings, so rather than complain, I send this saved message below to guests without ID on file immediately after getting the booking. I have used it at least half a dozen times, and all guests have uploaded their ID to date.

The lesson I have learned is that most guests want to comply and do the right thing. Also, as a host, using saved messages is an incredible time-saver that helps you be a better host and run a smoother business.

Saved Message

The Airbnb system has, in error, permitted you to instant book without meeting host requirements. Please be sure that you have a government ID on file with Airbnb before your arrival to avoid a last-minute cancellation.

These steps may help you go through the process to take a photo of your Government identification and upload it to Airbnb. The details are confidential and remain private with Airbnb. It does confirm for hosts that your identity is verified, and that makes it easier for hosts to accept your booking request.
If you are working on a computer, it may display this way.
Click on the top right photo. It brings up a dropdown menu.

Click on Account

It should display Account Settings. It displays information in separate boxes. Click on Personal info box>

Scroll down this page to Government ID and follow the instructions to take a photo and upload to Airbnb

If you are using your smartphone, it may display this way.

Click on your Airbnb profile it should be on the lower right, then
Click on personal information
It will show as edit profile.
There will be a Government ID item on this list. Click on Government ID The application will prompt you through the photo process. Let me know if you have any problems.

1 Best Answer
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Larry339 "The only explanation I have had from Airbnb is that some hosts are OK with this." Just more proof that Airbnb CX are clueless, though no fault of their own. 

I have had IB's that defy my requirements as well. The verbiage you send is good.  Completely annoying and unprofessional to have to do this, however. Even worse is "I have used it at least half a dozen times". It shouldn't happen at all. @Airbnb 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Larry339 "The only explanation I have had from Airbnb is that some hosts are OK with this." Just more proof that Airbnb CX are clueless, though no fault of their own. 

I have had IB's that defy my requirements as well. The verbiage you send is good.  Completely annoying and unprofessional to have to do this, however. Even worse is "I have used it at least half a dozen times". It shouldn't happen at all. @Airbnb 

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Larry339  I have noticed this also! This weekend I had one book without an email address or ID!!! Showed up 30 min after booking, complained that I don't have a garage, cancelled and left. Most stressful hour I've had in weeks! So very wrong of Airbnb! I'm I'm seriously if having IB is worth it. I complain to Airbnb and they say whoops. 😡

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

Thanks for the verbage! I hate that I can't just have a section where I can save a bunch of pre-made messages though.

I learned the hard way not to accept any guest that does not provide their ID.

@Maia29  you can save form messages. As usual, Airbnb does not make it obvious nor easy. Click on an existing message thread with a guest. You will see 'use a saved message' in the new message box. Click that and it will take you to a new screen where you can create message templates to use over and over. In the app, do the same, only at the bottom of the message screen, you'll see a 'page' icon. Click that.

@Colleen253  thank you! I'll try again.

Larry339
Level 10
Brant, Canada

There is a saved message section on Airbnb.

In your inbox click on and old message from a guest. In the box that you type your text look at the bottom of the box it says 'Use a saved message' click on it and you can create and save messages to send to your guests.

Good luck.

I don’t understand how Airbnb allows request to books if they don’t have a verified ID uploaded already. Yesterday I received a request to book from a guest who did not have a verified ID and had no intention of staying in my property, she said so herself but did not proceed to cancel the request, so my property was blocked all day preventing someone else from booking. She cancelled the request late at night and I did not rent out my property last night. Why am I not able to cancel her request to book, it does no seem logical to not have this type of control.  

Wendy684
Level 6
Levin, New Zealand

Well that's odd because I had a guest literally unable to book last night because air bnb system wasn't working to verify his government id. And while I do have IB I don't have it for short notice bookings. So I've had the opposite problems

They were finally able to get verified today and book in