Instant book - is this a bug?

Answered!

Instant book - is this a bug?

Hi all

I've been playing around with the instant book options and think I may have come across a bug?

I have instant book switched on and under the 'Instant book guest requirements' section have 'Host recommendation required' ticked on. I then go and search for my property and, using the filters, reduce the number of search results. All works well until I select the 'Instant book' under the 'Filters' button. If I select this, then my property disappears from the search results, even though instant book is on. If I go back into hosting mode and turn off the 'Host recommendation required' option, then the property reappears in the search results. I'm not turning 'Instant book' on and off but one of the options in the guest requirements is, for some reason. Is this a bug or am I missing something?

Any insight appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Russell262 You do not have any reviews/recommendations from other hosts yourself (as a guest.) So naturally, the listings that require a recommendation from other hosts to instant book are not available to you with those given search parameters. 

View Best Answer in original post

7 Replies 7

@Russell262 Have you been reviewed on Airbnb as a guest from the account you were using, or only as a host? 

I suspect only as a host. I think my previous account/trips were deleted.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Russell262 You do not have any reviews/recommendations from other hosts yourself (as a guest.) So naturally, the listings that require a recommendation from other hosts to instant book are not available to you with those given search parameters. 

Aah, right, I'm with you now. I was completely missing the fact that I didn't have any reviews as a guest and therefore was invisible to my own property (well I did but I think that account expired). I understand now!!

Many thanks indeed.

Elevating this thread again...

Although this answer is technically right, it is also a "flaw" in the system that causes listings to not be displayed to potential guests (booking through the web site, not the app):

-If a guest that is NOT logged into ABB (or is in incognito mode in the browser)
-Searches for a listing with the "Instant Book" filter on
-Where Host requires Government ID or Host Recommendation 

The system will not display any listings that have any of these conditions are set.

Many guests (including myself as a guest) search incognito initially and once I find a property I log in.  I do this because I do not want to get e-mails form ABB reminding me of listings for the area I searched in, nor do I want a history tracking what I'm just "looking at".

I understand that ABB does not want to display listings in the search that a guest technically can't book, but a guest that is not logged in can't book anything anyway!  So, technically if you go with this logic, then nothing should appear in a search for a non-logged in guest.

This is a disservice to hosts and ABB by not showing all the eligible properties to a potential guest.  The system should show these properties and when clicked on for booking prompt the guest if a condition has not been met, especially for something like Government ID that can be quickly rectified.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jonathan6 

Interesting point. I normally search while logged in but, you are right, almost every time you do this, Airbnb will then send you lots of annoying notifications if you haven't booked anything.

Magdalini2
Level 2
Heraklion, Greece

Dear all,

I have similar problems with my listing and IB. As a host I have IB on and no requirements for Gov id, or for other hosts reviews for the guests, and still when I search as a guest with the IB filter enabled, my listing disappears form the search results. Something seems not functioning properly.

Any suggestions?

thank you in advance

Magdalini Chatzaki