Instant booking confusion

Fiona48
Level 1
Newport, RI

Instant booking confusion

Since I haven't been able to figure out how to turn off instant booming (I just started hosting) I tried to reserve a weekend for someone who is planning on staying with me in August. Apparently it didn't work because I just got an instant booking for the same weekend while I was waiting for the first person to reserve it this afternoon. I don't want to get penalized for cancelling but also feel bad that when I pre-approved her and clicked the button to take the weekend down it didn't work. HELP! @Lizzie
8 Replies 8
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

By now the guest you Pre-approved should have received a message informing her itis no longer possible to book your accommodation for the dates requested. An actual booking always takes priority over an enquiry.

As you rightly pointed out, you can't cancel now otherwise you will get penalties. If you really want, you could e-mail the other guest out of curtsey to say unfortunately another guest booked via instant booking but the fact is, if she really wanted it, she should have booked it.

BW, Ama

I would call Airbnb on the phone and explain what happened. They will help you and tell you how to turn off "instant booking." I never use it because I like to converse with potential guests before agreeing to book them. Sometimes they haven't read my full description and that can lead to real problems. Good luck.

Some new hosts are not able to turn it off. It is something airbnb is testing. Doesn't seem fair especially for new hosts who probably don't yet understand how things work.

How does one call airbnb? I can't find a phone number anywhere. Can you provide one for me? Many thanks.

Chad18
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

My first reservation from a guest was Instant book. I didn't like that so wanted to turn off. How I did it was preview my listing and click the lightning bolt to unhighlight it which then turns it off making future requests as an approval by me. Btw I wouldnt recommend ever using it as there are some people you may not feel comfortable staying at you place
Steve83
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I specifically did not want airbnb to allow instant booking, but a guest just did this and I had to contact him and undo it. I am not happy with airbn over this - Now the date is blocked on my calendar. This is outrageous behavior by airbnb - does anyone know how to stop it and get my calendar unblocked?

Similar unfortunate experience. Didn't realize my setting was for "instant" booking and got a confirmation from a family for a week in August that I have family visiting. I had to cancel their reservation after a lot of confusion about how this happened. They were not happy and I felt bad. I've since found the setting to turn off instant booking.

Wayne9
Level 4
Metairie, LA

The way I get to the Instant Booking section is to go to Manage Listings for my property and then use the drop down menu in the upper left to select "Booking".  The settings are under that.  I have it set that only guests that have a verified Government ID and are recommended by other Hosts can use Instant Booking.

Wayne