Instant booking

Answered!
Lulu6
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Instant booking

I am a relatively new host and was not aware of the Instant booking rules and that it was active on my listing. I have had someone book dates which are not available for arrival and have to date always received a request to accept or decline. On this particular enquiry booking was automatic and now we have a situation that it cannot be fulfilled. I have explained all to the potential guest and he is happy with my reason, however the money has already been deducted from his account. How do we reverse this booking without either himself of myself being penalised

1 Best Answer
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

The only way to sort it out is to contact airbnb support team by phone. They will refund the monies to the guest and may fine you with a symbolic penalty. 

View Best Answer in original post

112 Replies 112
Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

You bring up something really interesting:  It is the 'Instant Book for the SAME DAY' issue.  Not all instant bookings are for THAT DAY, but the ones that are can be a real problem.  (I just had someone Instant Book and want access 1/2 hour after they booked.  I couldn't do that!).  I think we should bombard the Airbnb "Email Suggestion Box" with the request that Instant Book can't be done for SAME DAY bookings.  All same-day bookings should require a back-and-forth between the guest and the host.  It's only fair.  Hosts shouldn't have to be 'waiting by the front door,' so to speak.

Gijs9
Level 1
Amsterdam, Netherlands

My apartment was booked through instant booking while the requested dates were blocked. How is this possible? Has anyone had this experience before?

I had to cancel the booking, with a penalty as a result. And more importantly, a disappointed guest.

Since I no longer trust the instant booking process, I turned it off.

Yes this happened to me as well. I cant figure out how to stop instant booking any thoughts 

I I cant find a phone number

thank you

Nady0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

to cancel instant booking:

1. Go to Your Listing on airbnb.com
  2. Click Calendar and More 
  3. On the left side click Booking
  4. Under Who can book instantly? click NO ONE

Go into your Dashboard. Scroll down to 'View calendar and more'. On the left of the calendar screen, there is a list. Click on 'Booking'. That will take you where you set guest requirements.  Click off 'Instant Book'.

I have been an airbnb host for 3 years now.  I had always maintained superhost status after my first review.  Last Spring I lost my partner.  Family friends came from around the country and filled our home.  I never in that time of my life of turmoil, loss hurt and disaster for a moment thought about my instant book to turn it off.  Well, wouldn't you know I was notified of a booking within minutes of the book I called the guest to cancel, I mean less than an hour.  The guest was very upset that I didn't have a place and seemed to even be put out and angry while not caring about this lifetime moment.  As it goes because of that one infraction after 3 years I was booted off superhost.  I tried contacting someone at AirBnB but they are not reachable or approachable.  I never had a response.  I have been threatned that if it might happen again I would be reprimanded by delisting my place.   We have great reveiws and folks love us.  When a person in your home in your life passes without any advance notice everything changes. I am bothered still that AirBnB was unreachable and reacted against us by dropping Super Host.

Ward1
Level 3
Woodbridge Township, NJ

Airbnb does have phoen numbers:  The main number is 855-424-7262.  Their staff tends to be college kids (I think).  Sometimes they are helpful and sometimes they don't have a clue.  I tend to hang-up with the ones that don't have a clue and call back until I get someone who knows what they are talking about, or can help me get the result I'm looking for.

I'm so sorry! I had a similar experience after a family emergency and was also booted as a superhost. it's making me hate airbnb as a host because the system is inflexible. 

@Poppy0, why not just reject the reservation and say you're uncomfortable with the guest?  No penalty.

It wasn't through instant book but airbnb's inflexibility made me reticent to try instant book, not to mention that airbnb changes their policies in ways disadvantageous to hosts so I'm unclear on whether this ability to decline reservations will remain over the longer-term. 

Have you succesfully declined reservations on instant book without penalties?  

I'm noticing that my property is not appearing easily in searches so I just turned IB on, though am realyl nervous about it. I live in the same building so I'm especially careful about who I rent to. I'd like to be able to reject guests if they seem sketchy and make me fear for my safety. 

Yes.  If you reject because you feel uncomfortable, you'll be asked why you feel uncomfortable.  You just have to be on top of your calendar 24/7.  I read elsewhere that snoozing your listing for an hour or so will give it a bump when you turn it back on, and changng the title or text (touching the listing) also helps it appear "new" which gives you more exposure.

Thanks Wendy!

Diana253
Level 2
Chester, United Kingdom

I have also found my bookings have dropped, it seems to be as I am not on instant book. I am using a room in my home and feel the need to be able to judge my avaiability for each booking. It is not a buisness, just extra income to help my pension. My guests seem to really appreciate the personal service we offer.

I have been considering trying instant book, but if I will get repremanded for cancelling and my superhost removed, it's not worth the risk.

As I have other responsibilities, eg caring for my Mother, I need to be able to consider each request.

I think the algorithms used as biased towards instant book and smart pricing, which I also do not use. I agree with the comment that as Air bnb has grown it has prioritied making money over friendship and informal hosting. It seems to be losing touch with it's roots of putting small time host intouch with guests, as it focuses on getting bookings and making money. This runs counter to why I joined.

I notice a suggestion to 'sleep' your listing for a couple of hours might increase bookings, I will try this. Not so sure about the idea of changing the name, as if someone was looking form me again, they might not recognise the listing.

Interested to know others thoughts on managing 'the system', lets remember Airbnb are nothing without us hosts.

I do this often, just add a bit of a descriptor at the end "downtown" or "park view" or some-such and change it from time-to-time. Most of my repeat guests seem to be able to find the listing easily, I think they go back through their past trips to get to the link. 

This just happened to us as well!

I can't get a hold of Air b&b

thank for sharing and sorry for your loss.