Insulting message by a guest 6 months after his leaving

Helen116
Level 2
Cypress, CA

Insulting message by a guest 6 months after his leaving

Hello- I wasn't sure if it is a good idea to discuss it, but I thought it would be good to share my story with some hosts with similar experiences, especially considering of the current situation.

I had a guest who stayed in my place for 5 days in January.  At the first sight, he looked friendly.  But he tried to negotiate my house rules, like "no shoes in the house"- this is the culture from my home country, and I always remind the potential guest of my house rules before accepting the request.

Of course he said he would follow the rules, but started saying something different after he arrived.  He said he didn't like to be on bare foot, so would wear slippers.  He said they are for indoors, so I said ok anyways, thinking it is just 5 days-stay, and seldom saw him during those days.

When he left, I saw the guest bathroom was all messy.  And I had to throw away the floor mat, covered with dirt, pee.  I mentioned "the bathroom was messy" in the review of him.

Now 6 months has passed, when I received a text message.  At first, I thought that was a spam disguised as Airbnb, but it was his message which seems originally intended for AirBnB, not me. 

I was so shocked that it is full of lies about me and my neighborhood.  He even mentioned "racism," "discrimination," and my culture brought in the "virus."  I was laughing at those terms, at first, he used immaturely, ignorantly, but gradually outraged thinking that he may want to utilize the current situation.  And I think it is very unfair and needs to stop.

I reported it to AirBnB right away, and am talking to someone in another organization who protects Asians against covid-19.

But I am not sure if it is a good idea to directly talk to him about his lies & insults.  It seems like he intended to send the message to AirBnB, but it was mistakenly sent to me.  Can you please share if you have a similar experience, and/or what you would do?

4 Replies 4
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Helen116  Reporting the message was the right thing to do. No, do not answer him- do not engage with him at all. Anyone who would do something like that is pointless to talk to. Won't change his attitude at all, and would only result in him ramping up his abuse. Ask Airbnb to block him from contacting you again and if you see that he still has an active profile, tell them that he should be banned from the platform due to his racist comments towards you, which are there in a message for them to see.

@Sarah977  Thanks for your comment.  I agree with you.  I see no point to engage with this kind of person.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen116 

I'm so sorry you had such an awful experience. Do not waste another moment on this horrible guest. You have nothing to gain from any communication with him.

i hope Airbnb bans him from the platform.

Please make sure you take a screen grab (copy) of his message for reference in case it gets deleted.

I agree with @Sarah977 ask Airbnb to block him on the platform and if he has other ways of contacting you such as a mobile block him there too.

@Helen3   Thanks for sharing your point of view.  I saved his message just in case.  I am waiting for Airbnb’s response, and will let them do their work.