Insurance in Quebec - Any suggestions?

Michael637
Level 1
Beaconsfield, Canada

Insurance in Quebec - Any suggestions?

I am considering renting out my cottage when I am not using it.  My current insurer (Intact) does not cover this type of situation.  Does anyone have a suggestion for an insurance company in Quebec that will cover short term rentals?  I got a quote with April, but it is outrageous, more than 4x what I am currently paying.

Thanks for your help.

14 Replies 14
Shang0
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Hi, 

I am also looking for Quebec Insurance.

Hello @Michael637,

I bought an insurance for my duplex from Intact and it covers short-term rental. Before I was with Indistrial Aliance who doesn't have this option. 

Kerry70
Level 2
Venise-en-Québec, Canada

My insurance is with intact too and I have a cottage.  I am just on hold now waiting for to see if the municiplaity of Venise-en-Quebec will allow me to operate .  After I find out I will get the required inspection and classificatiion and pay the fee to the Ministry of Quebec tourism. 

Hi @Marat0

Were you living in your duplex and renting short-term to one unit? Or do you rent both units short-term? We tried with Intact but they refused. 

Chris1365
Level 3
Saint-Zotique, Canada

I am with Wawanessa who finally started offering a short-term rental option as of 2018. I had already upped my liability insurance to $2 million to satisfy the requirements for the CITQ clasification. Once I added the short term rental option, honestly the price difference is almost negligable! My home insurance went up approx $120 a year. For the peace of mind of knowing you're properly protected for what you're doing, $120 is nothing!

I have an AIRBNB is Squamish BC. Our home insurance went up $1600.00. We paid $2605. for our  2019 insurance.  But our house prices have also skyrocketed. 

I added a write up below that is very helpfull. Here is the web site. www.thezebra.com

It explains how the whole insurance companies works in conjunction with AIRBNN, HomeAway etc...Talks about covering YOURSELF while in someone else’s place. There is also things you can click on within the write ups. Explains what your vehicle insurance does & ‘doesn’t’ cover. 

A MUST READ! 

Nel15
Level 1
Sainte-Adèle, Canada

What is the CITQ?

Adele83
Level 2
Pembroke, Canada

I am a licensed insurance broker throughout Ontario and Quebec.   Generally I insure Airbnb properties through our specialty insurance markets.  My airbnb property in Quebec is with a Speciality Insurance company.     

Adele

Adele, what is the name of the specialty insurance company you mention?  My broker has not been any to help find coverage in Quebec at a reasonable price.

Hi @Adele83 i am looking for insurance in Quebec - can we connect? 

Hi @Adele83 Adele83,

I'm looking for short-term rental insurance in QC. Can we connect? 

How can we get in touch 

Victoria329
Level 2
Squamish, Canada

Are you renting out your home or a room in your home? Whether it’s through HomeAway, AirBNB or Craig’s list etc..
Here is important easy to understand information on the types of insurance each company carries and what you need to do to make sure you are full covered. This will also cover you when you are traveling and renting through these platforms.
Yes, It can get expensive. Better to be safe than sorry.!

https://www.thezebra.com/insurance-news/3836/5-insurance-tips-you-need-to-know-before-renting-your-h...

Nando11
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

It looks like Intact and other insurance companies are adapting their products to cover the $2 million coverage