Insurance on home

Insurance on home

I'm moving to a new home and want to have two air bnb's.  However, no insurance company will insure the new home knowing that's what I'm going to do.  I realize the air bnb site includes insurance, but the companies say that insurance is "secondary," so they won't insure my overall home.  Has anybody found an insurance company that will?  Thanks.

19 Replies 19
Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Kathryn226

You could be anywhere in the world, will both places be in the same building or other countries, is it whole place or just rooms, more info please. 

Both in my home. Two rooms with baths. I’m in DFW Texas. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Kathryn226  Under no conditions count on AirBnB's Host Guarantee as insurance. You are going to need a commerical insurance policy. I don't know where you are so I don't have any names of companies for you.  

I’m in DFW Texas.  I have worked with five agents and none have a solution for me. The problem is that the two air bnb would be in my home. 

Letitia, have you had a bad experience with the air bnb insurance? I hear it’s with a good company. 

@Kathryn226  Where do you hear that I am very curious? AirBnB does not really have insurance and you would be foolish to trust them to cover anything. They don't actually even take a security deposit and it's almost impossible to get any money for damages. You need to ask your insurance agent to find a "commercial liability policy" and tell your agent you are doing short term rental. You will still need a regular Home Owner Policy also. 

I’ve gone that route with five agents with no luck.... 

Loring1
Level 6
Somers, MT

Are you using an insurance broker? Not an agent, but a broker. A broker will do all the leg work of shopping the policy you need to the differeing companies. I thought I was out of luck after calling about ten companies but a broker found me a local insurer that handled our place with no issues.

I think Lloyd's will insure pretty much anyone but it will cost $$$

@Loring1  I used a broker. Got various quotes and settled on the best one to cover both my STR's and my Wedding Venue. 

Letitia, this is the closest I’ve come to a real answer after searching for 3 months. I’ve googled brokers and just get agents. Since I’m in Texas too, would you give me the name of your broker? I’m getting desperate!! Thanks. 

@Kathryn226

Total Insurance Protection

www.TexasTlP.com

5720 Bandera Rd., Ste. 4B

210-305-5000 - Office

San Antonio, TX 78238

210-569-6479 - Fax

Thank you so much!!

@Kathryn226  The actual policy we went with was through Colony Insurance best rate and coverage when we compared everything. You may want to contact them direct it would be a little bit cheaper going direct with them you would cut out the broker fee's we had added on. When I renew I will go direct with Colony Insurance. 

(804) 327-1700 

Colony Insurance Co

8720 Stony Point Pkwy
Suite 300
Richmond, VA 23235

Second runner up was Acuity out of Wisconsin. Maybe get a quote from each.  Acuity had the same coverage, but was a little higher price. Their rating is better though. AA vs. A+

I’m really grateful, Letitia! I’ll call them Monday. What a relief.