Insurance question-Australia NSW

Kathryn541
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Insurance question-Australia NSW

Hi, 

Going through the insurance maze right now. I want to host the granny flat which is separate dwelling to our home that we live. Because it's not a separate title, a lot of insurers won't offer building insurance if the flat is Airbnb or short term. I went went to one broker who said they would do it and they quoted $4K/yr which seems ridiculous. Surely it can't be too hard to get an insurer to got the building and a separate contents and public liability for the granny flat and guests. 

Thanks 

Kathryn 

4 Replies 4
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Kathryn541 you might try landlord insurance. 

Good luck 

It is my understanding that in australia landlord insurance is for tenancy agreements longer than 3mths, otherwise it’s classified as a short term rental. Am struggling to find an insurer that accepts airbnb, just for building. I plan to get a separate insurance for guests, contents and liability. I thought the risk would be lower if owners were living on the premises too. 

@Kathryn541

We had the same problem. Just called RACQ insurance and they said AirBNB is fine, provided we’re living at the premises. Their quote was $2400 pa; down from $4300 with our previous insurer.

Kathryn541
Level 2
Newcastle, Australia

Hi Rob, since starting this post I discovered another one which has been extremely useful here…..https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Insurance-for-hosts-in-Australia/td-p/580587