Internet Scams to beware

Judy29
Level 9
Brant, Canada

Internet Scams to beware

Beware of internet scams.  Yesterday I received a text message from [Guest], 24, US born needing accommodations for up to six months.  I also advertise on [Link hidden] and that is how this person received my texting number.  I can usually spot these people who originate from countries usually from Nigeria.

They are usually easy to spot as they have grammer issues.  If they say they are "English" or educated in US or Canada, it is surely the grammar that gives them away.  If you overlook that, they figure they can 'sucker' you in to taking a Cashiers andor certified cheque.  These are fraudulent.  Cheques are usually made out for more than they are suppose to be and then they will request that you sent some of the money back to them.  It is also a way for them to get access to your bank account history as the bank stamps the back of this cheque and put your account number on it as well before returning them.

This person tried to convince me that her father from NY would be giving me the cheque for the first two weeks and she would pay from there on for at least six months while in school.  However, as I am fully aware of this being a scam, i tried to bate this person by getting more info before reporting them to the governments online scam line.  Unfortunately I scared this person off when asking for a valid credit card for security as well as her father's phone number and name.

Please beware

1 Reply 1
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Judy29  Good heads up!  All the more reason to just work within the Air BNB system and not go outside the system.  Thanks