Is Airbnb Practising its Own Discrimination?

Phil-And-Aquilla0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Is Airbnb Practising its Own Discrimination?

Airbnb is not allowing hosts to see photos of guests before a booking. In my opinion a ridiculous move which 99% of hosts seem to disapprove. But Airbnb justifies this move on the grounds that showing a photo might allow or even encourage discrimination. Okay, it is part of Airbnb's policy of inclusion and respect even though it doesn't seem to work the other way round... guests can still see photos of the hosts!  But I have come across a little possible discrimination of its own. I frequently have occasion to ring the help line. When I get through to Dublin,Cork, Bucharest or somewhere in the States no problem with the agent telling me where they are based but when it comes to a third world location, such as the Philippines (which is easy for me to work out as I am married to a filipina!) or India then it is a different matter. Today I was answered by a lady with an Indian name and a marked Indian accent. When I politely enquired where she was based I had the response: "I'm sorry, I'm not authorized to disclose that information". So is Airbnb happy to disclose call centres in 1st world nations but rather coy when it comes to disclosing call centres in the 3rd World? 

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don't have any problem at all with not seeing a guests photo before they book @Phil-And-Aquilla0 If upon booking there was an issue with the guests photo such as them brandishing a gun or wearing racist insignia I would ask Airbnb to cancel.

However in nearly five years of hosting and hundreds of guests I have never had to decline or cancel a booking purely based on the photo of a guest.

Nor does it occur to me to notice where airbnb Call Centre staff are from or care whether they might be based in a developing country.

From my many years of being an Airbnb host (and guest) I find it usually helps to take a little interest in the person you're talking to and establish a rapport. People like to feel they're more than just a voice at the other end of the line. I often get very positive feedback from agents, wherever they're from, because of my approach. It's sad when people don't care. 

Now I never said anywhere in my post as a generic statement 'I don't care'. @Phil-And-Aquilla0 

I said I don't care which country call centre staff are based in.  I can take an interest in an individual I am talking to and establish a rapport, without having to interrogate them as to where they are from.

Maia29
Level 10
Anchorage, AK

You do have a point about guests seeing hosts photos, but hosts aren't allowed to see guest's photos until later. 

As for call centers, in live in Alaska, so I have issues getting a hold of a US based customer service representative during regular Alaska business hours. Several call representatives overseas have spoken to me in a condescending tone, which I really don't appreciate (this may be because of the language barrier-not sure). I never have an issue with "tone" and friendliness" when I get to talk to someone based in the US (of course, I can never be absolutely sure where the CS rep is based).

On another note, I had a guest just recently call me a discriminatory name through the Airbnb message system, and even after I reported them, they are still allowed to still book through Airbnb.