Is Airbnb running out of money?

Garth55
Level 2
Gaborone, Botswana

Is Airbnb running out of money?

Hi

I'm wanting to know if anybody else there is struggling to get paid?

I'm owed about $1,000.00

It's been 2 months since I've been paid. I have messaged them several times and phone them 3 times, but nobody at Airbnb can even tell me why I'm not getting paid or when they are going to pay me.

I've de-listed my properties until I get paid. I would rather be empty than hast people and not get paid.

13 Replies 13
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Garth55 

Garth, maybe your account has been compromised and your payouts are being directed to another account. This would not show up on Airbnb's end, which is why they can't give you an answer. They are simply sending payouts to the account details they have on file! If that money was being redirected that is not Airbnb's problem, I am afraid that is yours!

First thing to do is check your transaction history. If a payout has been released to you it will show initially as 'processing' and after a few days as 'paid'. If the payout has not been released to you and is being held by Airbnb for some reason, it will show as an upcoming transaction.  If your payouts are all showing as paid you need to immediately contact Airbnb, show them evidence of when your last payout was received and change your password immediately.

Apart from a glitch in the Airbnb processing system in October 2018 all my payouts up until today have arrived exactly when they should have, so this payout issue is not on Airbnb's end.

The one thing we can't criticize Airbnb for is getting paid Garth, they are reliable. Check what I have said above  and I am sure you will find out what has happened.

Cheers.......Rob  

Garth55
Level 2
Gaborone, Botswana

Hi @Robin4 

Thanks for the reply but my bank account details are correct and the payments are sitting in the upcoming payments column, since October.

Your presumed reason for the issue is incorrect and as far as I'm concerned, Airbnb is responsible. They have collected the money off the traveler and have not paid me. Two months is a long time and they are showing no urgency to get this issue resolved.  

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Garth55 

What you have mentioned in your post has been reported here before but, from my knowledge it is not widespread Garth. In most instances there is a reason why payouts are not received and I mentioned the fraud aspect because that is something that support do have to deal with from time to time, and that is why Airbnb will seek verification when it comes to certain notifications. Often you will receive and email informing you that alterations to your account settings had taken place, if these alterations were done by you please disregard the email, if not, change your password!

I was trying to establish if this was, or was not the case Garth.

If as you say Airbnb are hanging onto your past hosting payouts with no just cause and still showing them as upcoming payouts, possibly  @Sarah977  has the right solution in handling this. Get onto the guests who's payouts are effected and get them to complain to Airbnb. Sarah could be right, that might get some action.

Good luck Garth, I hope this sorts out for you quickly.

Cheers.........Rob

@Robin4 

Thanks for your time and effort in responding to my question.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robin4  Airbnb hangs on to hosts' payouts and gives excuses for months about tech glitches, it must be an issue with your bank, etc. Some hosts have asked past guests whose payment they never received to please call Airbnb to ask why their host never got paid- what happened to the guest's money?

And the next day, all the missing money miraculously appears in the host's account, making it quite clear that there was no problem with the account. 

@Sarah977 

Thanks for the info. That's a bit worrying. I guess if the money is starting to runout, the hosts in the third world are the one's that will get paid last.

I wonder if Michael Burry is watching. There may be a #shortAirbnb happening soon.

Anyway, I've de-listed all my properties on Airbnb, until I get paid.

Hi Sarah did you get your payments from Airbnb yet ?

I didn't know ABNB would withhold payouts until my last two stays had delayed payouts. In Feb, 2022 it took a couple days, and now again in March it's taking a few days, whereas in 2021, I would get monies the day my guests checked in. I'm very concerned. Cust Service said sorry and promptly ended the chatbox. I guess I need to start looking into another service or renting on my own, because this isn't working to be paid after guests are checking out. That's not how rent works.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

We haven't yet had this problem, and in our case, payments have always been fast and predictable as clockwork.

It may have something to do with their payment processor(s) or the banking system in a particular region... Or yes, possibly tech glitches or even host error... Anybody's guess. But I don't sense it's something systematically deliberate on Airbnb's part. Otherwise, we'd also suffer it. And it would also be a very stupid thing to do. 

Airbnb can be unreliable with numerous other things and get away with it. But if payments become iffy and unreliable, the whole business model will eventually collapse. 

@Elaine701 

Agreed. Let's hope that it's just a glitch with my bank and not a sign of things to come.

Aidan79
Level 1
Dublin, Ireland

I have not been paid 40,000 rand. Airbnb say they will investigate. I think this is bull**bleep**. I will also delist my properties and cancel my forthcoming reservations if payment is not received. Why let them take advantage of me with further rentals. They must have used host money to fund operations. 

hi Aidan have you received your money from Airbnb yet? 

Annette806
Level 2
Herning, Denmark

I have noticed lately, that my payments are not paid as written 24 hrs after guest arrive. I have not seen any notice, that this has been changed....