Is a Queen Air Mattress considered a "bed"

Scott139
Level 2
New York, NY

Is a Queen Air Mattress considered a "bed"

Hi all, new host with a couple of guests so far.  I have a 1 bedroom apartment with a Queen sized bed.  I just invested in a Queen mattress for the living room to accommodate more guests and give people options.

Right now my listing is for 1 Bedroom, 1 Bed.  The desciption mentions the air mattress.  Does anyone her ever list their air matress as a second bed?  I don't want to scare off guests who are looking for a place with more than 1 bed, but don't want people to feel mislead either.

Thanks,

Scott

12 Replies 12
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Scott139

It's not a bed - you shouldn't describe it as such. There are plenty of examples of guests both leaving poor reviews as they feel misled and/or getting refunds. Just be sure to state very clearly what the second sleeping arrangement is and show a photo with it set up. I would also tell the guests about it in your email exchange (assuming u don't use IB)

Thanks for the advice!

Jamie69
Level 7
Wheat Ridge, CO

If you go to edit your listing, under "Basics" it gives you the option to show what kind of bed. On my screen, I click on "Edit Beds" and it gives me a list of options, but I have to click on "more options" and then one of the options is "Air Mattress."

Then your listing will show that you have an air mattress under the description of your bed.

I have three beds available. Two regular queen beds and one queen air mattress. When you look at my listing, it shows the sleeping arrangements, complete with little icons showing two beds and an air mattress.

Jamie

Hi Jamie, its is my first time hosting. I have a three bedroom, of which one the bed is listed as an air matress as you described above. I am skeptical of offering that option eventhough I described it on the listing and have a nice pad for it. Have you ever gotten any bad reviews because of an air mattress? 

I never had any problems with the air mattress. 

I say that with two caveats.

First, the air mattress I had was a top-of-the-line model that cost me something like $120. It wasn't a cheapie. I spent some time researching high-end mattresses. I slept on it a couple times first and I found it to be very comfortable.

Also, my third bedroom with the air mattress was only used three or four times with Airbnb before my situation changed and I pulled my listing. So... 

I set up my air mattress just like a regular bedroom. Full set of sheets. Pillows. Comforter. Night stands. Lamps. The whole deal. It wasn't just thrown in a spare room. 

Good luck!

Jamie

Hi Jamie, can you please let me know which brand of air mattress you bought? Thanks! 

I’m currently laying on an air mattress advertised as a “second bed”. It is not. I will be leaving a terrible review and requesting a refund for the “second bed” I paid for. This is not a one bedroom with 2 beds. It’s a one bedroom with a bed and an air mattress. To advertise it otherwise is false and misleading. Especially when the air mattress isn’t even raised off the floor. It’s a pad that deflates, at best.  Air bnb should be ashamed for allowing these false advertisements in their service. Sleeping on a floor is not what I expected from a “two bed” place and definitely not what I paid for. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb are simply a broker, so to blame them is a bit off, @R48

If this had happened to me, I'd have been on to the phone with customer service at the get-go, and I absolutely wouldn't be up for sleeping on a lili, luxury or otherwise.  Why did you stay?

Was falsely advertised the accomadations and got in late. Even if air bnb is just a broker you think they would hold their hosts to some sort of standard and not let them falsely advertise an on-the-floor air mattress as a second bed.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The standards are generally policed by reviews. Airbnb can't get round millions of properties to check whether beds are beds (or air mattresses). Share the link of your listing and we can check it out, @R48.  

@R48- I totally understand your frustration.  My guest cabin has an air mattress, but I only advertise the two bedrooms with a real bed in each one.  I state in the description that the cabin will sleep as many as six people because there is a sleeper sofa and a queen size air mattress.  I do not agree with a host who advertises an air mattress as a regular bed because it certainly is not.  I hope you can find some resolution and I encourage you to make mention of it to the host before you leave a bad review.  Perhaps they will be willing to at least reimburse you for the misleading advertising.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Understand you are annoyed, but Airbnb provides advice for guests who find their listing is not as described on your booking confirmation @R48 

It advises you to contact the host within 24 hours of arrival and if the host cannot correct the situation ie provide you with the bed advertised, then you can contact airbnb to cancel your booking.

Did you this? 

What you can't do is stay there and still ask for your money back.

It is not Airbnb's fault that the host has misled you, that is clearly the hosts fault.

Surely you don't expect Airbnb to send a rep to each of the millions of millions of listings on a daily basis to make sure everything is as describe do you? 🙂