Is a dedicated kitchen sink required for Airbnb Plus?

Mitch-And-Donna0
Level 3
Nashville, TN

Is a dedicated kitchen sink required for Airbnb Plus?

Under Kitchen Basics in the checklist for Airbnb Plus, it says you must have a dedicated sink. We have a kitchenette with mini fridge, microwave and coffee maker, but there isn't a kitchen sink. We were invited to join the Plus program, so I assume our listing amenities have been examined. For places that aren't whole houses (apartment, studio, guest house), can anyone confirm whether the sink is required?

7 Replies 7
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Hello @Mitch-And-Donna0 

That's an interesting point you make.

Look at Hotels and Motels and you will see they to provide the same provisions/ amenities, don't they?
They have a sink in the bathroom, do you?

Many Hotel/ motel rooms do not have a separate kitchen and staff and guests use the bathroom sink to wash dishes. Been there done that when I worked in a well known 5 star very expensive Hotel.

If you have a sink in the bathroom that should fit the requirements as one would it expect it to with your local Building regulations.

You may also like to have a browse here in CC using keywords in the search box to see if this issue has arisen before & how it was addressed.

Maybe include a mention of it in your Listing so as to ensure transparency with your guest.

All the very best for your ABB PLUS

Thanks for your response. We do have a sink in the bathroom, but it doesn't lend itself for washing dishes. The requirements say that if you have a kitchenette, you have to having a cutting board, knives and other utensils. We don't have a place conducive for that kind of thing. Just wondering if that eliminates us from consideration for Plus status.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Mitch-And-Donna0   If you have been invited, there must be an invitation e-mail I suppose.  Why do you not ask them what the exact requirements are ? I have seen reports that hosts have been asked to make changes to meet the requirements.

Aparthotels have kitchenettes, usually with a two ring cook plate, microwave, sink, fridge, basic kitchen utensils, electric kettle and a coffee maker, sometimes even a little dishwasher.  Hotel rooms often have coffee and tea making facilities with cups and saucers and drinking glasses that are changed by the housekeeping every day if used and often also a minibar. You seem to have something in-between.  Providing dishes but nowhere to wash them does not make much sense.

I have put in a request to Airbnb customer service. There is no way to respond to the invitation email. When I responded to the invitation request using the "Get Started" button, it then told me to add additional photos. However, it did not specify what the photos are of. I have 31 photos on my listing and I consciously photographed all the main features of the space. I even include a layout drawing so guests know what to expect. So I will let everyone know their response. Thanks!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Mitch-And-Donna0   before you get too excited about the "Plus program", take a moment an search this forum for what others have to say about it.  There are a lot of problems with the program, and I have yet to hear from a host who was happy with it.

Thanks for your response. I will definitely do my due diligence and make my decision carefully.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What did Airbnb say? They are your best source to confirm this.