Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Hi all,

Unfortunately, as a host,  I have had to reach out to customer service 4 different times in the last three months, and each time I have had horrible support via email and phone calls.

Emails bounce back. Claims are closed without review. Support is not immediate, I had to wait for two months for assistance with one claim.

I have been a full time host and occasional guest with AirBnB since 2009. Over this time span, when something comes up, I receive immediate, top notch support and resolution. Now, perhaps in the last 6 months, I am experiencing a serious decline in service.

Are other people experiencing this? 

To me, if I don't have great customer service, or reimbursement support for claims ( mine was a proven theft with police report) then why pay fees to AirBnB? Why stay with AirBnB?  I am quite perplexed, as this has been a nice business for me, and I feel it may be time to leave AirBnB. Are others feeling this way too?

273 Replies 273

Hi Kathryn,

I've just been wondering how it's been gonig with VRBO and Trip Advisor since you left Airbnb...or did you go back or are you still on Airbnb?  Was just curious if you wre able to get your place booked out like you do with Airbnb.  Love to hear your comments if you have any.  Thanks so much.

Liz

@Kathryn75 what other sites do you use? I would like to move on too, any recomendations? 

tnx

These are the big sites I know of and use. Home Away/VRBO, their platform is a little wonky, but I am happy with the customer service, and get this, no hold times!

I also use TripAdvisor and Craigslist. In my area there are a few small property management companies that will list your property for free, but I haven't had many rentals from them. 

I hope that helps Branka & Silvia! 

Hi Branka and Silvia, 

Oddly enough, on Facebook I just came across a website called www.AirBnBHell.com that lists some very useful ideas of other sites to use. I've been going to this site for help quite a bit over the last few months. 

Try Booking.com

Pearl6
Level 2
California, United States

Which rental platform are you switching too?  I am also upset with the decline of customer service.  

Emily338
Level 1
Australian Capital Territory, Australia

Hello,

Can I please request advice around how to call for help over the phone?

Thank you

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Hi Emily, 

In the USA call 

+1-415-800-5959 +1-855-424-7262 (toll-free) Australia is +61 2 8520 3333

I know why do we have to use twitter to get attention??

Carlos224
Level 1
Dallas, TX

I am in the same situation or maybe worst, AIRBNB customer service summited an alteration by accident to my guest from two guests to three guests, that simple mistake will cost me about $800.00 US dollars for an extra guest of the 90 days stay. The main issue I was planning to negotiate the extra fee with my guest but AIRBNB took that chance away from me because my guest got the alteration for no change, the situation is simple, I contacted customer service right away and the only thing I was told Keny C. will contact you.

In reality is not about the money, It is how they are trying to switch like I am the one who did the mystique, what really get me upset is after talking to Keny C. and her supervisor ... I requested to speak with a higher manager and they said ... sorry, there is not body higher to speak about this situation, really sample you can take $150.00 or that s it.

Tweet this and post on  the abnb Facebook...you will get an actual response.  Yes everyone in the US is getting terrible service with resl problems.  Australia seems to be doing well.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Amy, I have tried to Tweet and to Facebook to AirBnB and have not once received a reply.
Since my original post I have now had $9,000 in damages to my entire loft after a new guest trashed it having a party in the house.

3 months later  I have received a partial remibursement of damages. During the wait, my pictures and police report were lost 3 times resulting in me having to resend. 

The guest was not flagged, and his profile is still active. 

I have spent over 40 hours on this case back and forth with incompetent support from AirBnB.

After this incident, it would be foolish for me to continue to host with AirBnB.
It's time to give up. All of my efforts and hopes to see AirBnB recover from this years dramtic decline are over.

@Carlos224    And raise your prices and cleaning fee.  There is no decent hotel for 85/night.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

That's awful! They made an alteration without your involvment? 
When I've had mistakes made by customer service I have noticed the customer service moto is, someone will call you, and they don't call. There is not anyone higher up who can help. 

Yes they owe me $500 for almost the same reason!