Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Is anyone else receiving awful customer service? ( this poor service is new)

Hi all,

Unfortunately, as a host,  I have had to reach out to customer service 4 different times in the last three months, and each time I have had horrible support via email and phone calls.

Emails bounce back. Claims are closed without review. Support is not immediate, I had to wait for two months for assistance with one claim.

I have been a full time host and occasional guest with AirBnB since 2009. Over this time span, when something comes up, I receive immediate, top notch support and resolution. Now, perhaps in the last 6 months, I am experiencing a serious decline in service.

Are other people experiencing this? 

To me, if I don't have great customer service, or reimbursement support for claims ( mine was a proven theft with police report) then why pay fees to AirBnB? Why stay with AirBnB?  I am quite perplexed, as this has been a nice business for me, and I feel it may be time to leave AirBnB. Are others feeling this way too?

273 Replies 273
Ain3
Level 1
Osaka, Japan

Hi, 

I am having the same issue, it has been over a year or more since I started managing the listings of my partner and it felt like it went from Ok customer service to cero response on Airbnb syde, making must of my problems a night mare. I read a magazzine where it was clearly stated that Airbnb real customers were the host not the guests and I dont see that happening. Airbnb usually puts the blame on my listings and even when guests fail to their part of the contract the Airbnb customer services decides to ignore me. 

Not really sure where can I go? it is like no remmedy but let it go because my concern is that there is not a place where I can complain about the terrible customer service. 

Sincerely, 

Jus an other host. 

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

I see here that someone mentioned complaining to the FCC. I wonder if that is a good route to take? I know nothing about the FCC? 
When will AirBnB listen? What will it take?

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

I have been told hosts are gathering to file a class action suit against AirBnB for their bad customer service. I'd prefer to stay out of it, but if I hear more about it, I will post it here.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Hi Ain,
I hope it has gotten better for you as a host by now. It makes sense for it to be getting better? Here in the USA it's continuing to decline to the point that I am now 99% off the platform and using other sites instead. 
Oddly enough, on the AirBnB Facebook page I came across this website, which has a lot of useful support for us lowly hosts.  I haven't spent much time on it other than to see what other hosting platforms to look into. So far VRBO has worked best, but I'd guess that's location dependent. I'm too new at using anything other than AirBnB to give much of an opinion yet. If I learn anything more useful, I'll let you know 

https://www.airbnbhell.com/ 

My first and last experience with airbnb was awful. First  I went through tons of very complex and weird procedures including being deprived of privacy by asking for my pictures and all this just to rent an apartment .  Ok i booked it i paid for it and the next day they cancelled for no reason and caused me great inconvenience on my travel plans.  Then why bother at all if they cancel.  

It was the customer service that cancelled not the host.  

Besides the ridiculous procedures they put you through the service is unprofessional.  Of course i will never attempt to use them again nor I'll recommend that anyone does.  I will also be filling a complain with the fcc for damages and interruption to my travel plans. 

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Did you make any progress with your complaint to the FCC? So many of us are asking what we can do to be heard?!

Murphy1
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Please see my experience documented here https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Host-account-ghosting/m-p/393135#M55656

I can't believe what has happened to this company. 

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Thanks Murphy. I am quitting as a host and a guest after 10 years. It's foolish to continue to be a victim to AirBnB's decline. I'm done

Renee51
Level 1
Boston, MA

Yes, I just received some of the worst customer service of my life from a rep named Cornell. He both failed to respond to my customer service as he agreed to do (to email if not able to reach me because I am a researcher who is not able to be by my phone during the full daytime). & then to call back in 10min (called back more than an hour later) when I called again in the morning. He then was very condescending to me during conversation, which made me constantly aware of how unlikely he would have been to take this tone & behavior had I been a male.

When asked to speak with a supervisor he put me on hold that is still ongoing (unlikely I was even lined up to another call).

This is definitely enough reason for me to never use airbnb again & to keep warning people of the potential for such a very poor outcome.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Kathryn

Airbnb are focusing their attention on acquisitions (they've just acquired a company called Tilt fast on the heels of acquiring a company called Luxury Retreats) not on their core business which has been the downfall of many a company.

I am also looking at alternative as I just can't stand the BS and the double standards employed for example, Airbnb have no problem accepting business from third party renters, but don't take a booking from a third-party guest or you’re on your own (there are exception to this RULE)

It must be apparent to even the most casual Host that we’re very far down the pecking order even though we have placed our enormous property resource at the disposal of Airbnb where they make circa 15% on each transaction good bad or indifferent.

The star ratings system can be completely distorted by one neurotic guest or ner do wells trying to blackmail hosts into excepting bad behaviour in their own homes. To be frank, I’m sick of it and Airbnb are not feeling our pain. It is said a society can be judged on how it treats its weakest members, I think a company can be judged on how it treats it prime resource, in our case its Hosts.

I have also read some absolute horror stories about what guest have had to put up with pictures to prove their veracity, I have requested that AirBnb set up offices in each city where they have hosting, so Airbnb can do routine check on properties, I’m not holding my breath.

Eugene18
Level 1
Waterloo, Australia

Hi Kathryn,

As a guest with Airbnb for three years now, I have had many great experiences staying with hosts in various countries.

But I'm just back from Auckland, New Zealand, where I had a horrific guest experience made worse by Airbnb's failure to offer anything more than polite condolences.

When I asked the host (very politely) about several issues (no door key because front door never locked, no breakfast at an advertised b&b home, etc.) he began to spew racial and homophobic abuse at me.

When I contacted Airbnb for assistance, they offer much sympathy but absolutely no assistance. Just told me to leave the house to get safe - in a foreign country with nowhere to go and my possessions still in the house!

since returning home, they have ignored all my follow up calls and emails.

i have tried to dispute the credit card payment for the shortened stay, but it seems Airbnb will do nothing about this shocking host or his abusive behaviour.

I am now an ex-guest!

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

Yikes and Wow! That's a horrific story. First and foremost I'm sorry you were treated that way!

I must say, your situation is exactly the concern I have in the SERIOUS decline in customer service by AirBnB.

Just a year ago I would have been confident in knowing that AirBnB would have at the very least,  found you a new place to stay and refunded you for the stay with the "offending" host. 
If you use Twitter/Facebook you may want to post this to @AirBnB and @HelpAirBnB too?

@Eugene18. Take your complaint to Facebook and Twitter...you wil get someone back within half an hour.

write the CEO and the CFO as well. This is unacceptable.

Kathryn75
Level 10
Colorado, United States

It is totally unacceptable Amy! I hope Eugene will take your suggestions and run with them!

My concern is exactly the same as Eugene's. AirBnB is failing to provide acceptable, adequate support to host or guests. UNACCEPTABLE INDEED! ( To be clear, I am shouting in protest at AirBnB, not at you Amy). 

Olivier167
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

I've been waiting over 3 hours on hold over the past 2 days ! I am stuck and need them to help me out but I can't reach anyone